New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out after work this afternoon and was right in the middle of tons of action. I've been having a horrible streak of bad luck thus far this season and today started out much the same way. Just as I getting settled in a nice 6 pointer walked right by the stand. Unfortunately for me my bow was still on the ground! He spotted me and ran off a ways so I quickly pulled the bow up and let out a few grunts. He came back in somewhat but decided to take out his aggressions on a defenseless little sapling instead. Never did come back within range. From that point on it was 2 hours of nonstop action. I've never experienced anything like it before. There were at least 3 other bucks grunting and chasing does all around me. Unfortunately they wouldn't come out of the laurels. I did spot one bruiser for a split second but he wasn't interested in my feeble attempts to coax him out of the thick stuff. I have to admit that I've taken a few decent bucks the past few years but this thing was so big it was almost surreal. He was a good 75 yards away when I caught a glimpse of him but I'd swear he looked as big as a horse. I totally zoned out for a little while after that encounter I have to admit. I've never seen a deer that big before by far! I don't know how many points he had but all I can say is "Rack!". He played around inthe laurels for a while and finally took off with his does and shortly thereafter a spike came walking by the stand. Not 2 minutes later I hear some more noise coming but it was momma bear and her 2 cubs. Thinking that was it for the night I started lowering my bow down and behind me I heard some more grunting. Out blasts a doe and hot on her tail another buck. Head down grunting like crazy. To dark to tell what it was but looked to be another little guy. What a night! And all this took place about 400 yards out my back door on state land.
I've been putting so much pressure on myself this year to put one in the freezer that I totally lost sight of how great this sport actually is. From this point on if I am fortunate enough to harvest an animal then so be it but this experience tonite I wouldn't trade for the fullest freezer or the biggest mount on the wall!

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
butch thats what its all about. even though you didnt get a shot you had a great night.Its almost,almost I said. as good as shooting a deer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I hear ya on that one but I definately needed a nite like tonite to put things back into perspective for me. Like I said, I was so caught up in getting one this year that I wasn't having fun anymore. I guess its just like other sports where you hear of people pushing themselves so hard to succeed that they lose sight of what it is they are doing that they get burned out and quit!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Butch I've seen some monsters in that park. I found rubs in there ,the tree was the size of my thigh. It's just so thick in there they have alot of places to hide and grow big[up]

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I hear ya Butch... Days like that are the ones you really enjoy and will never forget. They are alot of fun and very enjoyable. That in part is what makes bowhunting such an enjoyable sport. It's not all about making the kill. I hope I have a day like that this year.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Butch I felt the same same. Even made a post about quitting. When out last week and saw a Coyote and some deer. Put a stalk on 2 of them. Even though I didn't harvest anything it still got my heart pumping. My day will come.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Great story [up]
Sometimes you do lose track of what the sport is all about. Being out in the fields and woods is the best part of the sport. I'll come home sometimes from a LONG day sitting in a tree, physically exhausted, but mentally I'm refreshed. Refreshed with the memories of the day I just experienced. Enjoy it while you can, we're not getting any younger [sad]

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Sounds like you live by Banker Road or County Road in UGL. That Ceder Swamp area is awesome and always has been. I used to hunt it off County Road, now you can't park there anymore due to development. If you live in one of those houses you have access. To get to the area just west of Ceder Swamp I now have to park on Cherry Ridge Road hump it from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts