New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some quick picks of this simple set that consistently catches them and it's brutally simple , all you need are a few things. A fox snare, a log, a hemlock to lean the log onto at about a 45 degree angle then find what kind of critters are being found chewed up on the banks of the creek preferably with fox tracks around them. In order to be careful with using real bait and not doing anything illegal. When I first set it up for the year for the first time eselically in a new location ( the one in this pic has been there since my
First season and has produced multiple greys each year. The log should be long enough so it's on a 45 degree angle while being high enough where log connects to tree is high enough where he can't easily jump
Up there. Half way down the log I wire the snare through the swivel and after I come back around a few times I use the excess wire as the support, tweak the support wire so the snare hangs exactly as it would as if the log was lieing flat on the ground. Then up at the top of log near where it's touching the tree I use some rubber fishing baits. My Creek is loaded with big crayfish and I have seen the greys targeting them exclusively . I try and find a big rubber crayfish. Matchin the color of the ones in the creek helps. It could also be any large rubber type fish bait. Then I spray them down with some juice from gulp alive or some other fishing scent and spray it liberally. Then maybe a few sprays in the general area as a call scent and got done. They tend to work better for me very close to creeks or down in a steep ravine where running water is present . Creeks where hemlocks are seem to be best. I have two locations that have worked since the first time I made them and for years. I have others that will produce maybe just 1 a year but if there are greys in the area they can't resist checking them out. Every once in a while you may pick up a coon but not likely . image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem. Good luck. Keep me posted on how you do.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kno, won't be setting anywhere near stokes ha. Fishers def on the rise there. I think it's the scent that draws them, the rubber cray fish are a little eye candy. And let me state that make sure to use a long snare so regardless of the catch they can safely reach the ground. Also make sure the top of the snare does not exceed 24 inches from the ground. Good luck .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts