New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the stand the other evening, and at 6:45 a doe appeared at 20yds with a small forked horn trailing her. He dogged her every step. He must be really confused.[hihi]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I saw the same thing the other day. Small 5 point trailing a doe.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
[hihi] The smaller deer have to try and get some before the big boys chime in.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
nothing new really guys ,the little guys always try to get their rocks off before the big boys come in a chase them out.

not trying to be offensive on my comment ,but its nothing unusual[up]

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Just like teen age boys in a mall, chasin girls they will never have a chance with.[rofl] you will start seeing the bigger ones working scent on a line now but they will be looking around so don't move alot.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Drove out 78 to PA on saturday. Damn commitments!! Anyway, spotted 5 different dead bucks along 22 between somerville and clinton.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I SAW A NICE POSSIBLE SHOOTER(HAD A RACK) SNIFFING A DOE..DIDNT HAVE ENOUGH LIGHT TO JUDGE OR SHOOT... THEY WHERE HEADING TO BEDDING AREAS EARILY... RATTLED UP 4 SMALL BUCKS ALSO..
THIS WEEKS COLD FRONT WILL BE THE KICKOFF
LET THE TESTOSTERONE FLOW.....

·
Registered
443 Posts
Around the first week of october we get what I consider a flury of the 'false rut'. Some of the older alpha does do go in heat this early and that could be what is driving the lil guys crazy. If the temps drop, we will see some good action within the next two weeks. Bucks getting stirr crazy!!!!
MY FAVORITE TIME OF YEAR!!!!

·
Banned
2,514 Posts
RATTLED UP 4 SMALL BUCKS ALSO..
U bring rattlein horns out with u this early??

trust me this cold front wont be the kick off to nothing...every year theres people that say the rut will be here early...and every year its not till during or after the first week of november.

for the guys thinkin its gona start early dont start putting out estrus sents and scrape sents and all that. all ur gona do is educate the deer and when rut does actually come they will ignore it. sit tight leave the sents and the horns at home till late late oct and early november and dont educate the deer...

·
Registered
443 Posts
I agree that the rut does NOT happen until the first week of November, BUT you WILL see an increase of activity around NOW if the weather dips for a few days.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The main rut kicks off exactly 28 days from the date in October when 3.5yr old does come into estrus for a 24hr period. By the time the bucks find those estrus does, they're out of heat and will not accept them. That October menstrul cycle primes the main rut to follow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts