New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to no how many of you guys and gals out there and I no your out there only hunt for a buck or bucks and if thats all you would harvest if you could? And why you do not harvest any does? Whats up do not want to start an argument just wondering![smirk]

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i shoot does too. of course i would love to get a buck but i do take a few does for the freezer. this year i got 2 does with the bow and one with the shotgun. i also got 1 buck during 6-day. i'm hoping to get atleast one more for some kielbasa and salami.

G

·
I took out my share of does in the past, this year I stuck to my word and it was bucks only. Im all for taking a doe or 2, I'm 100% agaist the taking of numerous or unlimited amout of does. I'm glad I took bucks only, the deer herd in my area is really down.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Last year I shot a bunch of does. This year I'm stuck with mostly bucks. There fun to watch - mostly 4 points or less but I have seen 8 of 6+++. Hoping to put up a picture of the big boy standing next to my shed last week-maybe next year. I won't shoot at small 6 or less. I'm after the scrapemaker- 3 foot by 5foot scrape. He checked me out 4 times in the dark-maybe next year.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I hunt mostly private property and will take what the owner wants me to. If he says that he wants the population reduced, thats what is done. Legally of course.

Nothing I shoot goes to waste. I have a list of people that will always take venison. ;)

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
im about shooing one doe maybe two a year. but once the rut comes around, i cant see shooting does. i just think every doe i shoot could have gotten bred by the big buck, why take the doe and fawn out too?

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
For me it would depend on why I'm out there. I do not need any more venison for the freezer. So, if I were to go out for myself I'd have to go buck or nothing. Of course, I'd give the meat away to someone/charity so it wouldn't go to waste. If I was going out because a friend wanted venison, a doe would be acceptable as well.

For now, I'm done with my deer hunting season though. I hope this makes sense.

David

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Three of us hunt 100 acres. We take one doe for every two bucks.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
i am only in earn a buck zones so I will shoot min 3 does per season for the buck tags. I also have a peice where the owner wants to thin the heard, so I will usually go in there during winter bow, bait it, and shoot a few more. Problem is getting rid of the meat. End up donating to the food bank- which cost $25 per deer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts