New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I'm looking for some advice on buckshot and choke combo's. I'm very new to hunting, my first hunt will be for spring turkey and I've successfully patterned using a Carlson's extended range turkey choke with Winchester XR 3 inch no. 5

Where I'm having trouble is on patterning buckshot. I've shot both 00 Herter's and 000 Federal using the improved cylinder. At an estimated 20 up to 35 yards I maybe get 3-4 shots in the heart and or lung area with the rest either landing a little further back on the target, in the leg, or off the target.

I spoke with a rep from Browning and their advice was to use either an improved cylinder or a cylinder and not a full choke.

I've been looking at and thinking of taking a chance on the Carlson's Buckshot Choke as a solid number of the reviews are positive. My only concern the diameter is .710 which looks to measure the same as a full choke. An improved cylinder measures .730 and the cylinder measures .740

I would be using this for deer hunting during the 6 day firearm season.

Thank you for any advice in advance!

·
Registered
9,637 Posts
Greetings all,

I'm looking for some advice on buckshot and choke combo's. I'm very new to hunting, my first hunt will be for spring turkey and I've successfully patterned using a Carlson's extended range turkey choke with Winchester XR 3 inch no. 5

Where I'm having trouble is on patterning buckshot. I've shot both 00 Herter's and 000 Federal using the improved cylinder. At an estimated 20 up to 35 yards I maybe get 3-4 shots in the heart and or lung area with the rest either landing a little further back on the target, in the leg, or off the target.

I spoke with a rep from Browning and their advice was to use either an improved cylinder or a cylinder and not a full choke.

I've been looking at and thinking of taking a chance on the Carlson's Buckshot Choke as a solid number of the reviews are positive. My only concern the diameter is .710 which looks to measure the same as a full choke. An improved cylinder measures .730 and the cylinder measures .740

I would be using this for deer hunting during the 6 day firearm season.

Thank you for any advice in advance!
Sorry to say but the Rep doesn't know what he is talking about. The Browning throws great patterns with the factory full choke. Use "premium" copper plated shot. Do not use "flite control" unless you are using a cylinder bore choke. I have the Carlson's Buckshot Choke and it's no better than the full choke pattern wise.

·
Registered
9,637 Posts
patternmaster choke tubes are the best imo
The problem with Patternmaster now is that they offer so many kinds of choke tubes it's hard to determine what you need. When I bought mine it was either ported or unported, long or short versions. It works great with buckshot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the information! I appreciate any additional insight or opinions you all have!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Paternmaster long range 18" patterns with Federal Premium 3" 00 buck @ 40 yards, extended range for 3.5" shells

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Check out the Kicks Buck Kicker!! I shoot slugs out of my bps, but I have a buck kicked on my mossburg and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It is kind of a PIA, but different sizes of buckshot can behave very differently out of the same choke. I had a 2 3/4" Browning A-5 with a fixed modified choke barrel that would not pattern #1 Buck, 0 Buck or 00 Buck worth a darn. However, when I fed it 000 Buck it would consistently put five or six pellets in a 12" pie plate at 60 steps.

I suggest you pattern the gun with both modified and full chokes with both 00 Buck and 000 Buck. FWIW, I have had the best luck with Foster style slugs out of an Improved Cylinder choke on several different shotguns. Never had much luck shooting Brenneke slugs out of any of my guns.

RayG

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
No two guns will throw buckshot the same way. You need to feed the gun what it likes. The original Patternmaster is the way to go with chokes. If you can get your hands on it, Federal's tactical buckshot in 00 is awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts