New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question guys. I am shooting 100 grn Thunder Heads, 3 blade. I want to get the blades to line up with the vanes. Can you heat the shaft on a carbon arrow to do this. I heard you can on aluminam shafts, but am unsure about the carbons.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Yes you can heat the shaft. Use a lighter not a torch and spin it as you heat it so you only put the heat you need. This also depends on the glue they used to put your inserts in with. If it is a crazy glue type forget it not happening. If they used the glustick type your good heat it up and turn. [up]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
More than likely they used a two part epoxy to install your inserts which is just about impossible to "debond".

Also, heating carbon arrows is not a good idea, I dont recommend it. If you really want to try to heat them, the best way is to install a field tip and heat the field tip with your stove top. NOT the shaft. This may heat the glue up enough to allow you to spin it. DO NOT use an open flame on the shaft. Be careful not to get the shaft too hot no matter what way you do it.

To be perfectly honest, if the bow is perfectly tuned, it normally doesnt make a difference if your bh's line up with the fletchings. But I understand it gives you piece of mind. SO...

Other than turning inserts, try mixing and matching broadheads w/ different arrows. Sometimes you can get certain ones to line up. Another thing is, thunderheads dont need to be overly tightened, if you are using the o-rings, you can get it snug and lined up, that will work. If you tighten them too much, the o-ring can squish out and cause the bh to wobble.

Best of luck---Matt

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Matty, I heated mine up with a lighter but I was very careful in doing so I kept the flame near the tip and only put enough to melt the glue. No damage to the arrow. I guess I must have got lucky.?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
It really does not matter if the blades line up. For that matter, how would you do it with a 4-blade broadhead?? If you have a well tuned setup, it does not matter.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Some one told me it was best to line them up. I shot them a few times already ,did not notice any problems. Just thought I should do the right thing.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
It doesn't matter one bit unless you want your arrows to look pretty. :D

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
i found, as long as your feathers or vanes are large enough to steer your arrow you will have no problem. you dont want your broadhead to steer. also make sure your broadheads are straight on the shaft. give them a spin test, you will see if they are off[up]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts