New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to crossbow hunting and looking for suggestions on which broadheads to use. I currently have dual blade rage expandables that I use on my compound bow and love them. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I would not use rage broadheads they are not intended for crossbows. I would use a slick trick fixed head. A g5 striker or Tekan. The rage could open in flight with fast crossbow speeds.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
supposedly any broadhead you use in a compound will work on a crossbow. I know of no crossbow specific broadheads. Most crossbows don't shoot anymore FPS than one of the better compounds.

·
Registered
612 Posts
fixed blades, closed blades have a problem opening at close range and some times they onep on the jolt when shot if they are oring held closed

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
most crossbows shoot 350fps or more few compounds shoot that fast.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Map spitfire xp pro-series they are pricey but proven at over 400fps you will not have a problem with these i will be useing the 125gr 1 1/2 cuting diameter with that my total arrow weight will be over 530gr talk about a smack wow

·
Registered
594 Posts
Use the 125gr. Votex expandable it will not open and will fly like a field point. The rubber O ring will hold things in place.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, alot of responses alot faster than expected. i appreciate everything. My crossbow shoots at 350 fps and my compund shoots at 302 which led me to believe the Rage with their o ring design probably wouldnt hold up as well.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
what you can do for the hell of it is try shooting one...to see if it opens...i myself will be using the 100 grain 3 blady muzzy's...don't have to worry about them opening up

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
i was told by someone who has been shooting and working with crossbows for a real long time to stay away from the rage with xbows

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
personally myself i don't like them...getting the blades to stay in the ring made me give them up..if i did pick an expandable it would be the wasp jackhammer...did plenty of test with them on my crossbows and as long as you double ring them they wont open

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
yes, i have the equinox too...did you add on the flemish string that excal makes?...it does give you more speed and less string twang

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
besides the equinox, i have a pse sidewinder crossbow, the bowtech stryker crossbow and a browning fps compound...and a couple of old bear whitetail II's

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, if thats the name of their higher speed one, and if thats less twang Id hate to hear the loud one. Didnt realize how loud these darn things were til I shot it. And apparently there isnt a way to really "dampen" any of the noise, at least thats what Ive heard so far.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
i put four limbsaver stickies on the limbs and 2 rubber boots that the string hits after you shoot...not sure the name, but those things did make a difference

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
will thunderhead 125gr work in a barrnett quad 400? I read on barrnetts web site the one's they recommend some an the muzzy i bought and i really dont like them. I use thunderhead 100 for my compound an allways had luck, so will the 125's work in the xbow? thanks

1 - 20 of 74 Posts