New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone doubts the effectivness of Expandable broadheads, just look at the attached picture. I shot this doe this evening at about 30 yds. The arrow drove her to the ground. She managed ( somehow ) to stumble 25yds. The Broadheads were 125gr. Spitfires. The leg was hanging on by a little flesh and skin. The deer weighed in at about 60lbs. Mathews Switchback, Easton arrows, and Spitfire broadheads, what a combo [up][up]

That makes 3 does and and 8 pointer, not a bad start for the year.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
nightstalker911,

I just switched to 100gr Spitfires and shot button buck who was quartering away. The entrance hole was ~ 1 inch with the exit hole being 2+ inches. He ran 40 yds before falling over. They definitely work well.

David

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use the 125gr. They seem to smash through bone better. And at under 30 yds. your not going to notice much more drop on your arrow. I like the way you can just pop in practice blades, and they fly the same as the ones with razor blades.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Here is the entrance and exit holes from 100 gr spitfires on one of my does:

entrance hole:

Exit hole:

-dan

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
That is what I call some serious damage control. I use the hammerheads with the same results. I have yet to see a deer go more the 40 yards when hit with this big 1 and half and 2 inch mechanicals. Nice job

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Besides the positive comments I had heard about the Spitfires, the practice blades were one of the main deciding factors in choosing them.

Hey Dan,
You picture of the entrance and exit holes looked almost exactly the same as mine. The only difference was the locations of mine. My deer was quartering away. My entrance was further back with my exit being further ahead.

From the looks of the pictures, your deer was quartering towards slightly. Correct?

David

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
David,

Yes, she took a half step towards me after I was at full draw. I would have liked to hit her a little closer to the shoulder, but she went down just the same.

-dan

B

·
0 Posts
On my 1st bear hunt in CANADA a guy in our group used the spitfires, they did some damage I was impressed. But the owner of the archery pro shop near me still says use fixed heads. I love the way the mech. heads fly, and the damage is proof enough, but my luck they won't open on me

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I believe it is really all in shot placement. Any head through the lungs will put down any north american game animal. Mechanicals are good if you have enough KE to shoot them. I have plenty with 82 pounds. I am actually thinking of moving up to a 2" cutting diameter head for even faster put downs. The bigger the cutting diameter, the more KE you need. I blow through the deer with the spitfires (6 inches stuck in very hard ground), so increasing the cut diameter I should still blow through them.

FYI, I also shoot Magnus stingers. Great heads with a full replacement clause. Just send what is left of the head back to Magnus and they send you a new one.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I believe it is really all in shot placement.
Totally true. I'm sure you could put a deer down using field tips that are properly placed. I wouldn't want to try that though...

So far I've shot one Spitfire with 1 dead deer. I like my results so far :D

David

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
BHC,

Do you know your arrows KE? IF not, give me the specs and I will calculated it. Just need bow speed and arrow weight.

-dan

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If your refering to the 60lb weight, most of our Pine deer don't get much bigger. I've killed 10 pointers that weighed 80 lbs. or so. How much nutrition can you get out of eating pine needles. The Blueberry field where I took this deer is infested with them, and as you heard before, the owner wants every one of those " DAM BLUBERRY EATERS " killed. I won't go that far, but maybe if I trim the herd a little, he won't get a deer control permit and litter the fields with the carcasses in the summer [sad]
To me that's a waste [sad]

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey SJ I think that is really close to where I live, that was one of the places I was thinking about scouting out for next year. What do you think about it, is it crowded?

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took this deer on private ground, but if your looking for LOW used State ground, let me know. There is a stretch on Rt. 532 ( Chatsworth Rd.) that gets little bow pressure. We drive it during Shotgun season, and always chase deer out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts