New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was cold this morning when I climbed into my stand on the edge of a thicket. My brother was taking a stand just over 100 yards away overlooking a marsh. The first hour of the hunt was uneventful, then around 7 am I heard a grunt and then another. I had broken views of an oak flat 80 yards in front of me and could see a buck trotting my way. He was heading right towards me and as he got closer, his rack got bigger. He was 40 yards away with some tall bushes between us when he made a right turn. He spent the next 30 minutes eating on the edge of some honeysuckle, Still 40 yards and too much brush. I could see he had a perfect, high 10 point rack with double brows making him a 12 pt. I believe this is the 10 pt that I was hunting last season. The m [no swearing please] was incredible. The deer slowly feed to with 30 yards, still no shot and started feeding away from me. For the next 45 minutes all I could see was the steam of his breath as he was standing in the middle of think brush and occasionally the rising sun would hit his antlers making my knees shake.I grunted a few times and it caught his attention but it didnt draw him into one of my lanes. He slowly walked away and I thought he was gone. At 8:30 a basket rack 8 pt (a deer that I have been hunting)followed the same path as the 12 pt. All of a sudden I see the big buck stand up. He was bedded down in the honeysuckle and didnt like the other buck in his area. All he did was make a few moves towards the 8 and he ran off like puppy dog. The buck then did a repeat of the hour before, feeding and taking the same path he took previously. I keep his attention with occasional grunts but he would just look around for 10 minutes and then start feeding. A few does came in from behind the honeysuckle and he gave chase. Again he was gone..20 minutes later I see the rack coming towards me, maybe the grunting was working. He stopped at the same spot, 40 yards away. A doe came into him and bedded down, Then he bedded down 30 yards away behind a blow down looking in my direction. For the next hour I watched him chewing his cud as I was doing my best to melt into my tree. My knees and back were aching and my bow arm was getting tired from standing in one position. It was now 11 am, An hour after I was supposed to pick up my brother. I knew he would be coming soon..That maybe the help I need to get this buck to move. I could see my brother walking down the trail but he was going away from me..My brother cut along the edge of a field 150 yards away upwind of the deer. As soon as he did so, deer started moving out of the thicket and trotting in the opposite direction towards me. Mr buck got up and made a move towards my stand. I came to full draw and he trotted past me at 30 yards with too much brucsh to offer a clean shot. I had one opportunity and tried to stop him with a grunt but he just continued on out of my life...I didnt kill him but I feel honored to just have had the opportunity to enjoy such a morning..Maybe our paths will cross in the near future.......BTW the basket rack 8 pt walked within 15 yards of my stand in the afternoon but how could I shoot him knowing that the buck of a lifetime is in the area..:)

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Great story.....what an awesome day.[up][up]

Days like that make it easy to stay on stand all day, and make it very easy to forget that you are cold.:D

Hope you get him![up][up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Great story.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
great story. I hope you and him meet again and then you will have some pictures to go with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts