New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I'm sitting here thinking of what to eat for breakfast and I was thinking - what does everyone eat before a morning of deer/turkey/bear/pheasant etc hunting.

I have a buddy who likes to fill up big time on bacon and eggs. I don't know how he does it that early in the morning but everyone is different.

What does your morning ritual look like with respect to food? I'm interested to see how you guys do it. I find that I don't eat right most times and by 8-9:00 I'm feeling kind of crappy. My stomach just doesn't wake up that early so I have no appetite until I'm up a while.

I grab a quick bowl of cereal at home or I eat in the car on the way to the woods. I do try to bring stuff (PB and J sandwich or a bagel) with me and eat a couple times over the course of the morning.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
For me I don't eat before I go to the woods. Why you ask.... Ever get up in a tree stand and then it comes on???? You know.... the feeling you get before you have to poop.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
I make sure I drink anything hot and caffeinated at least 20min before I have to be out the out door. The caffeine stimulates the stomach and intestines. That way chances are you will answer natures call before you even leave for the woods.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Opening days are special when hunting with my Uncle and cousin we made it a point to find a diner in the morning for bacon and eggs. Any other day coffee and toast. But also, I always pack a few PB&J in my pack for the woods.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I try to keep an empty stomach. I hate getting in the stand and feeling the rumble and then the cramp and then I am running through the woods like I was gut shot looking for a place to let loose!
[smirk]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Actually I dont eat breakfast before a morning hunt. Like many of the others, Id hate to let a log roll from the stand.

Most early season hunts are just late afternoon hunts for me, so I just bring a hydration bladder or a water bottle. Water keeps you feeling full, and pee is not a major problem with a treestand urinal. I will eat dinner after I get home, so no need for food.

When I start hunting full days though, I bring small snacks, like power-bars, nutri-grain bars, snickers etc. The hydration bladder is with me as well, and I will drink water all day long. Eating small snacks as an incentive to stay on stand longer.

It really helps break up the day if you get to eat something every 2 or 3 hours. Keeps you feeling more alert, warmer, and more willing to sit out a few more hours.;)

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Well I do my bussiness before breakfast everyday. guess to each their own habits. Have a cup of coffee at home while getting ready. One more coffee to go. And usually make a sandwich consisting of one or more of, Eggs,Taylorham,sausege, bacon, spam (yes I eat it)cheese. Usually on a roll or english muffin.
Mostly taylor ham . It goes on sale for $1.25 and I load up each time, I alway have about 10-15 pks on hand , especially for hunting season. Quick and easy, And I always eat on the way hunting. To make sure I get there at least 1-1/2 hours before shooting time. Oh and some pasta the night before helps with the carbs, just avoid the garlic.;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
coffee..gets the pump pumping...been that way since i was a kid..not really a hunting ritual,just my everyday ritual..works great for hunting though

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i'm like hkonfishn, i usually don't eat before morning hunt. i will eat at lunch though. i usually just grab something to drink in the morning.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
not even those links you brought on the fluke trip? those were awesome!

thanks again rich!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I don't eat breakfast normally. I ususally just take a few granola bars and some bottles of water. I may stop at 7-11 on the way for Gatorade and a roll, but usually don't eat it until I am in the woods.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Normally I would drink about 3 cups of coffee but, if I'm hunting I will have a small coffee before I go and bring a water bottle and a ham and cheese sandwich to eat a few hours after I get out there. I also carry a ziplock with a mix of equal parts choc chips, raisins and peanuts to snack on during the day and.....eat a huge diner when I get home.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
light breakfast, pack something snackable in the backpack tightly wrapped so its scent-free.

you don't want your stomach gnawing, but you don't want to have to get down and answer nature's call during peak hunting time either.

BTW--watch what you eat the night before!

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Man I feel bad for all you guys where breakfast causes a bathroom reaction.

As for me, I try to eat something with alot of calories, usually french toast w/syrup and juice. I don't need the caffeine as I'm usually so stoked to go hunting that I'm wide awake.

David

1 - 20 of 26 Posts