New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of brace height should you be looking for in a bow. I know they say the shorter it is the faster the bow will be but harder to shoot accurate. so what kind of height should i look for?

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
depends on the bow, Compounds like traditional bows have different set brace height. Higher the brace heaver the arrow weight. Matty will be on to tell you what to look for in a compound brace height.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Exactly Woj. The shorter the brace height, the faster the bow because the string is in contact with the arrow longer thourgh the power stroke. However that same contact is what takes away from forgiveness of a bow. Now, if you have perfect follow through, brace height should not affect you shooting at all. Also some say that with today's drop away rests that brace height plays less of a roll, but that is only if you have a bow with perfectly flat nock travel, which most bows do not.
With my draw length, I like to find the highest brace I can. Mine is 8.5" (LOL). It is like everything in archery, there are trade offs. There is one quote I always liked and it goes along the lines of..
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...

-dan

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm thinking of going with the Whisker Biscuit. so no drop away rest.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Woj,

With a biscuit rest, there is contact until the arrow leaves the rest. Also if you want to use a biscuit, look for a bow with a higher brace as you will need it for the fletching to not be in contact with the biscuit before drawing.

-dan

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I feel the better the shooter, the lower a brace height he can shoot. I also feel the same about axle to axle length. Last is choice of eccentrics, although the majority today are a lot better than the 80's and 90's. Don't shoot Hoyt's spiral type eccentrics, if your a casual shooter/hunter.
To many hunters are hung up on speed(also broadhead choice, but that's not what this post is about).
A mistake a lot of hunters make is, once hunting season starts, they hunt and stop practicing their shooting. I would rather practice and miss a hunting session.
You should try and practice "under pressure". Shoot for score and/or against some buddies, pressure is pressure. When the big guy offers you a shot, you don't want to fold like a cheap suit. How many times have you heard, "I shot right over/under him and he was only 10 yds?
A hunter who capitalize's on opportunities, will come out on top of one who chokes.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Last time i was at the shop, the tech told me that the beginner/intermediate shooter should not shoot a brace height of less than 7 inches. With a bow that has less than 7 inches of brace height a shooter must consistantly have perfect form for the shooter/bow to perform well. This includes anchor points follow through and all the other mechanincs that go into firing a bow. One slip up can send the arrow off its mark.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Dan filled you in already, his advice is sound.

Now this is just me, but I prefer about a 7.5" brace height and about a 37" axle to axle. Its the right amount of forgiveness and speed.

The longer your draw length, the longer I suggest you go on brace height and axle to axle.

You will probably be a shorter draw Woj, around 27"-28". So you can get away with a slightly shorter ata & bh bow.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You will probably be a shorter draw Woj, around 27"-28". So you can get away with a slightly shorter ata & bh bow
so what about 7 3/8 brace?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
so what about 7 3/8 brace?
Woj, unless your a very good shooter, I wouldn't recomment anything under 7 3/4", the closer you stay to 8", regardless of your draw length, the better off you'll be, especially as the season gets cooler and you'll be wearing heavier clothing. How many times have you heard, "I hit my arm and missed".

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Woj, from what I understand, its a little late to worry about brace height.

Arent you the proud new owner of a Hoyt Vipertec?

Work on a consistent grip, and follow through, and you wont have to worry about brace height. Follow through is a very important part of shooting well, but is often overlooked.

You have to have a 'conclusion' to your shot sequence that is after the release. Something like hearing the arrow hit the target, or touching your shoulder with your release hand. Dont let your form break down till that conclusion. Do this, and you will become a better shooter.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
My PSE is is pretty forgiving even though it is 30 inches between axles but it has a 8 3/4" brace height.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Woj, from what I understand, its a little late to worry about brace height. Arent you the proud new owner of a Hoyt Vipertec?
Good luck Woj, if this is true. Follow Matty's advice and you should enjoy your new Hoyt.
I sold one on Ebay to a college guy in Minn. and he emailed me back a few weeks later, praising it up and down.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts