New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the primary goals for the United Bowhunters of NJ in the next Legislature will be to introduce, and pass, legislation that would reduce the Safety Zone for bowhunters.

A bow and arrow does not have the same effective range as a shotgun or muzzleloader, and should not be held to the same standards. Most bowhunters hunt from eleveated treestands and release their arrows towards the ground, ensuring that misses impact harmlessly into the ground.

In the day and age of suburban deer hunting, safety zones play a pivotal role. Many areas that harbor deer are not accessable to bowhunters due to the locations of houses and housing developments. A reduction in the safety zone would/could make many of these ares huntable and assist communities with burgoning deer populations.

The UBNJ would like to see the safety zones reduced for bowhunters from 450' (150 yrds) to 150' (50 yrds).

What are your thoughts or opinions?

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bacs, are you thinking 50 yards from an elevated position only? (not ground)
50 Yards period, no matter the form of bowhunting.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Bacs, first of all, I think its GREAT that you guys (UBNJ) push for all these changes. [up]

I think the 50 yard safety zones would be great, thats more than enough of a buffer for a safe and ethical bowhunter. However, I picture that distance taking a lot of heat from homeowners, and other building owners.

Pushing for the 50 yard SZ is a great idea though. Even if you cant get it down to that, you may get them to reduce it to 75yds, etc,.

The only thing you may want to look into, is the signs. Will they make up a different kind of sign for the "bowhunting SZ"? It will have to be visually obvious from a good distance that it is NOT the regular safety zone signs. (to prevent gun-hunters, from mistakenly breeching their safety zone)

Its a great idea, and I hope it goes into effect. When it does, you'll probably need volunteers to post the new signs, drop me an email, I will gladly help out in at least a few of the local WMA's.

Have a good one---Matt:)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
50 yards from an elevated postioin would be really nice for experienced bow hunters, but how many of you in your early days of bowhunting thought you had a clear shooting lane, took the shot, and hit the only damned vine or twig that just happened in front of your arrow (not your sight)?

Where did the arrow usually go?!?!?!?!? Usually up and out into the wild blue yonder...

Luckily in my early years my few mistakes (both of them, to be exact) were stopped by 8 foot high standing corn that was a solid buffer at least 300+ yards from any buildings or people...

I think that the reduction in Safety Zone distance would be a really tough sell, but as an experienced bowhunter, I'm all for it...

One thing, though....In the back of my mind I can see it setting the stage for an increased opportunity for a much greater risk of damage to property &/or life most likely from an inexperienced bowhunter taking a "hairy" shot or by hitting an unexpected object with his/her arrow.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Many states have zero safety zones (guns and bows) and do not experience any higher damage to property and/or life than elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
there are people trying to take bowhunting away from us and you guys are worried about smaller safety zones?

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there are people trying to take bowhunting away from us and you guys are worried about smaller safety zones?
That is a fact, and the UBNJ stands with the USSA, the BPA, the Pope & Young Club, Safari Club International, and the ATA to protect bowhunters & bowhunting. I would assume that you are a member of your state bowhunting organization.

That said, we're not just going to give up fighting for things that will benifit bowhunters in NJ either.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bacs we bin talkin about this for three yrs.now.Time to go for it.Lets be able to get some of them developtment deer with out having to get about a half dz.home owners to sign an ok paper.Behind you and U.B.N.J all the way,if i can be of help let me know.Take Care,GRIZ.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts