New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm going to go out bowhunting in zone 8. i still didn't get my doe for the EAB. But i see EAB is only in effect till 12/5/05. So does this mean i can shoot a buck?

·
3,413 Posts
Yes, EAB ended on 12/10/05. You can shoot a buck.

G

·
I just don't understand why hunters have to go out and harvest so many antlerless deer. If it was drought, would you allow the water to run from your house? No, you would use only what you need, well this is whats going on with our deer herd a drought of deer roaming the woods. The guys here who have been hunting for many many years like me, can't say they see as many deer today then they have in the past if they are hunting from the same general location. Im not saying NOT to harvest antlerless deer, what Im preaching is take 2 maybe 3 for the year. Think of our kids hunting future also, lets have the deer roaming the woods for them as well. Mark my words, keep taking as many antlerless deer out as in the past, and you will be lucky to see a deer. EAB, BANK A DOE, UNLIMITED ANTLERLESS DEER, LATE FEBUARY HUNTING WITH ANY WEAPON, WELL THEY ALL SUCK

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
BHC, Im surprised to hear you say that. How come you havent shared these feelings with us before? (Please note the extreme sarcasm):p:D

BHC, not to bust your chops, but why is it when other people make suggestions about this stuff you complain that they dont have a degree in deer/wildlife biology? Yet when you preach all this stuff about shooting too many does and wiping out the herd, its the Gospel truth?[confused]

Your zone does NOT have unlimited antlerless deer harvests, it does not have EAB or BAD, or late February seasons, so how are all of these things effecting your deer sightings in your zone? I just dont understand it.

Maybe you have real concerns, and maybe something needs to be done in your area, and other areas. BUT, dont make it a one size fits all management plan. That simply doesnt work. We need more exact/individual management plans if anything.

Dont take this the wrong way, but maybe you should try a new spot for a while. Thats what I would do if I wasnt seeing deer. Try a different wma in another zone, or maybe even a different spot in zone 4. Just a suggestion.

:)

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Here are a few ideas being discussed around the "grape vine"...

- Button bucks should not count as an EAB
- EAB should have ended 12/5, not 12/10. In areas where permit bow overlaps with the 6-day...why should a bowhunter not have the same opportunity to harvest a buck?

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
And what I'm saying is in our area the deer are like fleas, mostly in areas that are tuff to shoot them in but not impossible.
In areas like this we need to shoot a crap load more of them. I'm going to go winter bow and shoot nothing but adult, hopefully pregnant does. It needs to be done.
Some people here just want to make blanket laws for the whole state and it doesn't work. Just like the unlimited antlerless doesn't work for the whole state.
I drove through Mendham Twp yesterday and in 10 minutes saw almost 20 deer in different yards eating the bushes. Just happens to be in an area where some of the residents allow bow hunters, me included.
You can't say "This is the way it has to be" and have it work in the whole state. No more than I can say that my SxS's or O/U's are the only guns that you should be allowed to hunt pheasants with. It doesn't work for everyone.

I've said it before, the state needs to do a better job monitoring the smaller designated zones within the large Mangagement Zones. This way a certain area in Zone 13 can be unlimited does while up the street and down the road in Zone 13 can be 1 doe only or what ever.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
And what I'm saying is in our area the deer are like fleas, mostly in areas that are tuff to shoot them in but not impossible.
In areas like this we need to shoot a crap load more of them. I'm going to go winter bow and shoot nothing but adult, hopefully pregnant does. It needs to be done.
Some people here just want to make blanket laws for the whole state and it doesn't work. Just like the unlimited antlerless doesn't work for the whole state.
I drove through Mendham Twp yesterday and in 10 minutes saw almost 20 deer in different yards eating the bushes. Just happens to be in an area where some of the residents allow bow hunters, me included.
You can't say "This is the way it has to be" and have it work in the whole state. No more than I can say that my SxS's or O/U's are the only guns that you should be allowed to hunt pheasants with. It doesn't work for everyone.

I've said it before, the state needs to do a better job monitoring the smaller designated zones within the large Mangagement Zones. This way a certain area in Zone 13 can be unlimited does while up the street and down the road in Zone 13 can be 1 doe only or what ever.
Exactly!!!

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
EAB needs to be evaluated in the same manner.

QDM needs to be statewide. It has helped the bucks in Zones 9 and 13. Look at some of the deer being taken. I know people that used to shoot the first buck that came through because they could shoot a nicer one later (2 buck limit sucks). Now we are seeing really nice 2.5 and 3.5 year old deer. Heck, guys like myself don't even shoot little 6's anymore.

We should do like other states that everyone goes to for big bucks. 1 buck a year. That's it. Let the buck to doe ratio grow. You want quality bit P&Y/B&C deer, limit yourselves to 1 buck only. Hey, here's a thought it doesn't even have to be the law, just do it.
How many of you guys would volunteer to shoot only 1 buck a year for the next 3-5 years? Not many I'm sure.
Well you are hurting the herd as much as any thing else. Don't complain about not seeing a buck when you go out and take 2 nice bucks in the bow seasons (comment not directed at anyone in particular, just general). Then you want to shoot another one in the winter bow season. Well where do you think you are going to get all these bucks from for shotgun etc.? Stop shooting so many bucks, stop shooting spikes, 4's and small 6's. Some can't. They need to take that buck when it comes by.

Rant off.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
EAB needs to be evaluated in the same manner.

QDM needs to be statewide. It has helped the bucks in Zones 9 and 13. Look at some of the deer being taken. I know people that used to shoot the first buck that came through because they could shoot a nicer one later (2 buck limit sucks). Now we are seeing really nice 2.5 and 3.5 year old deer. Heck, guys like myself don't even shoot little 6's anymore.

We should do like other states that everyone goes to for big bucks. 1 buck a year. That's it. Let the buck to doe ratio grow. You want quality bit P&Y/B&C deer, limit yourselves to 1 buck only. Hey, here's a thought it doesn't even have to be the law, just do it.
How many of you guys would volunteer to shoot only 1 buck a year for the next 3-5 years? Not many I'm sure.
Well you are hurting the herd as much as any thing else. Don't complain about not seeing a buck when you go out and take 2 nice bucks in the bow seasons (comment not directed at anyone in particular, just general). Then you want to shoot another one in the winter bow season. Well where do you think you are going to get all these bucks from for shotgun etc.? Stop shooting so many bucks, stop shooting spikes, 4's and small 6's. Some can't. They need to take that buck when it comes by.

Rant off.
[up][up]

I would, heck, most years I wont shoot a buck if the right one never comes along, or doesnt present a shot. Just because I get five buck tags, doesnt mean I feel obligated to use them.

Hopefully you can get someone to listen TJC, because you have the right ideas.[up]

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I had an ear on the F&G Comm but it's no longer there. Couldn't do anything anyway as the rest of the "hunting club members" don't want to hear it.[mad]

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I still want an archery only qdm zone.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Those of us who believe in this stuff should organize a plan/proposal and submit it to the NJDFW with signatures of all those who support it. A few of the well spoken members could go to the NJDFW council meeting and propose the changes in person.

Perhaps we should start another thread of proposed changes...rather than Hijack this thread.

What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts