New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always slapped my forearm with the string on my release but this year it is with much more force..What am I doing wrong?? Thanks..spoke to walmart today and she said digest is late and will arrive next monday

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
NJ8,

This is what I've been told to do and I've never had that problem.

Assuming you are righty...
1) Draw back as you normally do.
2) Anchor like usual.
3) Relax your left elbow. Let it bend downward and to the left slightly. Do not lock your elbow.

I've never hit my forearm shooting this way.

Good luck,
David

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Relax your left elbow. Let it bend downward and to the left slightly
Good Advice! [up]

If this doesnt work, you may have to adjust your draw length. But, bending my left arm slightly did the trick for me. I only get slapped now when I dont pay attention to what I'm doing and fully extend my arm. It only takes one time to wake you up!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Normally its a form flaw caused by too long of a draw length. It can also be improper grip.

(Proper grip) You want the bow to rest on your "life-line" towards the meaty thumb area. You do NOT want to "palm" a bow, as this puts your arm further in towards the string and generates more torque. You also want a relaxed bow hand, no straight fingers, and no vulcan death grips. The bow pulling into your hand, should kind of curl the fingers to a relaxed position.

Brace height can have a lot to do with slapping your arm as well, post the make and model of your bow, and if you know them, the specs, and we can let you know if that has anything to do with it. Very low brace bows, bring the string almost to your wrist, making it hard to keep yourself out of the way.

The best way for us to help you is.... if you can have someone take pics of you drawn back (from a few different angles), post them on here, and we can critique the draw length, and form, and see if theres anything you can do to prevent that arm slap.

Good luck with it, and keep us updated.---Matt

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Normally its a form flaw caused by too long of a draw length. It can also be improper grip.
Matty is correct, It is usually cause you are over drawn. If you were never set up at a shop for your length. do so. You should have a small bend in your arm, and try to find an anchor point, so you ar always in the same position each time you draw back

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I would go with your DL is too long also, and I am the king of long draw lenghts!! But even with my DL (33"), I still have a bend in my bow arm.

As another has said, an STS would help, but it will not help you correct your form if the DL is too long

-d

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Without reading the other replys it is a simple problem.. You are locking your front elbow. If you re-adjust your anchor point to allow you elbow to be slightly bent you will not only never hit your arm with the string you will improve your shot groups.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Just so you know, you usually cant acheive a bent elbow without shortening your draw. Too many archers shoot too long of a draw length to begin with. I see it all the time. I think its something like 90% of shooters have too long of a draw. Thats sad!

Stretching themselves out to reach, leaning back, extending their elbow, etc,. It all robs accuracy.

There are three things you NEED to shoot well; a perfectly fitted bow, consistency in form and a solid anchor.

A perfectly fit bow, takes some trial and error, and usually the help of a more knowledgeable archer.

Consistency comes from having a perfectly fitted bow, and from form that you have pounded into your head off target (not shooting).

Solid anchor is bone to bone. One of your knuckles to the jaw is best. Kissers, peeps, etc, only aid in a consistant anchor.

Theres no way around it, you dont have those three things, and you wont be the best archer you can be.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, by relaxing my left arm and losing the vulcan death grip there was a tremendous improvement. My groupings were a tad off and I am wondering if my new form will require sight adjustments??:):D:p[up][smirk]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Yes, form can have an effect on sight markings.

Your front arm acts kind of like a shock, so if the elbow is bent straight down, the bow comes straight back, if the bow arm is bent towards the side to an extent, then the bow recoils to the side. All of this effects where you group, or if you do it differently each time, you WONT group.

Make sense? [up] Glad it worked out for you![up]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts