New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought my bow bout a 1 1/2 ago i take good care of it...wax the string regularly, keep it clean and everything tight..was wondering how often do u guys take ur bow into the shop to get work done for string,cables, etc..my string is in good shape theres alittle where i knock my arrow though

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Ron from Sportsman's center does all my work. He really knows his stuff. Serving wear is normal but anything out of the ordinary you might want to have a new serving tied in or replace the string. How often do you shoot? I have had bows in the past that required no maintanance for 5 years or more and I have had bows that required yearly maintanance. It depends on the bow and how much you shoot. Also one thing I might add. If it ain't broke don't fix it.....

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have had my bow for 8 years and i just took it to Ron at the Sportsmen's Center and had new strings and cabels and had it tuned up...i shoot a few times a month...by the way Ultra that bow flys now...

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
Sounds like your doing fine. If it worries you Rob at Targeteers is the closest and best. I could even stop by and peek at it if your that worried. Just drop me a PM. I could even take you to Targeteers if you need a ride.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have an 08' drenalin i shoot quite a bit try to shoot every day even if its just 5-10 arrows....i go to rob at targeteers for my work...the string to me looks brand new but i do shoot alot

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
just keep waxing it. Next time he looks it over take Axle-axle measurements and Brace height, right them down and you could always check yourself to see if the string has stretched. Also a bow scale comes in handy . If your draw weight changes something else did also.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
havent changed my draw weight yet im shooting 64 lbs. thinking bout going up to 68lbs

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its better for the bow if u shoot to where it maxes out...but its all about wat u feel comfortable shooting and hunting with

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I shot 62 for the longest it does the job. The new bow I have has what's known as an ez cam so it makes 70 feel like 60lbs. This is the first year I'm shooting 70lbs in over a decade. Many whitetails have fallen to my bow and arrow at 60lbs and under. There is no advantage to shooting more weight than you are comfortable only disadvantages. If you can draw hold and shoot 70 consistantly than shoot 70 but if you feel more comfortable with 60 then shoot 60. My Uncle shoots 52lbs and is in his 60's he gets complete pass thoughs and has had no issues with humanely harvesting animals at that draw weight. You need to do what is comfortable for you.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Also just an FYI when the temps get down under 20 degrees it makes it much more difficult to get a bow with high poundage back.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
i just took it to Ron at the Sportsmen's Center and had new strings and cabels and had it tuned up...

What did new strings and cables run you?
bump ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts