New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here of a law change that allows bow hunting in Woodbridge on private property with written permission? A buddy of mine was telling me this that works in the police department....is this now legal? Anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Anyone here of a law change that allows bow hunting in Woodbridge on private property with written permission? A buddy of mine was telling me this that works in the police department....is this now legal? Anyone have any info on this?
Call the police dept and find out. I wouldn't trust any info you get on here.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
It's always legal if it meets F&G rules and regs....no matter what the Township drones say.

And that's information you can trust....[cool]

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Hunting in Woodbridge? I'm leaning towards no to be honest. I may be wrong but I honestly don't know where you would be able to hunt

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Then you've never seen some of the bucks in Woodbridge. There's a lot of poachers in town. You should see some of the bucks I've gotten on cam. A township can't outlaw hunting, only F&G has that power. If they changed anything it would be there no discharge law which you can look up online.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Then you've never seen some of the bucks in Woodbridge. There's a lot of poachers in town. You should see some of the bucks I've gotten on cam. A township can't outlaw hunting, only F&G has that power. If they changed anything it would be there no discharge law which you can look up online.
Oh no I know there are bucks there for sure. I had railroad tracks in from of my house that had deer and a guy I know found a nice set of sheds up there too. Edison has a a few good ones and Raritan Center for sure

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
Anyone have any info on this?
There was no law change in Woodbridge. The reduction of the safety zone (from 450' to 150') is what opened a great deal more land to bowhunting throughout the State.

There is no blanket prohibition to the discharge of bow & arrow in Woodbridge Twp. The only TO regarding "no discharge" is limited to firearms T.O. 3-11.

3-11 DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS.[SUP]*[/SUP]

a. No person shall discharge a gun or any firearm within the Township.
b. The above paragraph a. shall not be applicable to:
1. The discharge of any gun or firearm upon a licensed pistol, rifle or firearm range which is under the supervision of the Township Police Department; or,
2. Members of the Township Police Department or any sworn, current law enforcement officer.
(1974 Code § 15-10)

However, possession of a "bow" (& similar weapons) is prohibited in all Township "parks"
under TO 14-1.6 f(3) ...

14-1.6 Prohibited Uses of Parks.*

f. Firearms, Weapons and Tools. No person shall bring in or have in his possession:
1. Any pistol or revolver or objects upon which loaded or blank cartridges may be used.
2. Any tools, instruments, skeleton keys, picklocks, jimmies or other things known as burglar tools, except when authorized by law.
3. Any rifle, shotgun, fowling piece, airgun, spring gun, slingshot, bow or any other instrument or weapon in which the propelling force is a spring or air, excepting the lawful uses of such weapons at places and times prescribed by the Department of Parks.
(1974 Code § 17A-5; Ord. #8-6-74 § V; New)

ClerkBase - Building Trust through Transparency

That being said, you will need permission to bow hunt private property within the Township & you must observe the NJDF&W 150' safety zone regulations.

The owner or lessee of a building and persons specifically authorized by the owner or lessee in writing (written permission must be in possession while hunting) may hunt within 150 feet of the building. Persons authorized to hunt within 150 feet of a building must hunt from an elevated position to shoot down toward the ground. Shooting into a safety zone is prohibited.

Safety Zone | New Jersey Hunting & Trapping Digest | eRegulations.com

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I've seen some very large bucks all over..but my concern is the doe population we are over run with does and the heard needs to be thinned they are roaming to our front lawns bringing more ticks where our kids play..it really needs to be addressed

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
I work in Woodbridge at the prison and we have some great bucks on grounds, we asked the administrators if we (2 of us hunt) can bow hunt, they had no problem with it, but the commissioner has stopped all types of hunting on all corrections land statewide.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info guys .. thanks loadedforbear ..I called our police dept spoke with the police director.. hunting is not legal in Woodbridge unless you can find private land

·
Registered
613 Posts
State law supercedes local ordinance. Been challenged many times in court and always thrown out due to lack of evidence to prosecute. If you have permission to hunt and follow state laws, twp. can only regulate not prohibit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts