New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may already know, I have bow hunted many years but not in New Jersey. I haven’t bow hunted in the past 9 years and things have changed a lot. When I first started bow hunting in New York mechanical releases were not allowed, neither was hunting over bait allowed. As a result I'm trying to read as much as possible to become knowledgeable again. This site is awesome! That being said - what bow hunting magazine(s) do you find most useful for hunting in New Jersey? I not looking for a magazine that is filled with things I am not interested in such as hunting Elk or Mountain Goat.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
this site is all you need, Mike any questions you may have i'm sure someone will have an answer for you. this is one group i'm very proud to be part of...[up][up]

Franco........

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Peterson's Bowhunting
North American Whitetail
Bowhunter Magazine
Bowhunting World

Those are a few I subscribe to...good reads for the train ride in! ;)

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
To be honest, I dont think Ive ever gained much knowledge from bowhunting magazines. Most of them today are filled with ads, and stories about hunts/outfitters....etc. Sure they are fun to read, and once in a while you come across some info that helps you be a better hunter. But I wouldnt rely on them as an educational tool.

Do you have any specific questions about bowhunting?

Many of our members know both the technical aspects and the hunting aspect of Bow-hunting.

:)

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Matty, I think the mags have some good info but not all of it is relevant to hunting NJ whitetails. But there is alot that is relevant to all whitetails, and some very good articles on strategy.

I certainly have learned more by being out there in the woods than I have from reading, but that is the way of the world. You always learn more by doing it than reading about it.

And I don't know about the hunters on this site, I keep seeing these stories about hunters dressing up with wigs and mini skirts! I might wind up in a sinkhole somewhere in a cedar swamp taking their advice! :D

lol j/k, this is a great site...glad I joined. [up]

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Deer and Deer Hunting magazine is one of the best. But for information on NJ, you're probably in the best spot you could be right here.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Madison avenue propaganda and you have to have discernment when you read some of that stuff.Just because of the new fads that are commercializing the industry you don't have to have it to be succesfull in your hunt. Woodsmanship is the basic and most important factor and magazines don't teach that they only advertise manufactuers and tell about others success's.Nothing wrong with reading but the discernment needs to be utilized.Spend time in the bush learning.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Told ya madison ave. propagana already being mislead. Get on the right trail and spend time in the bush learning the habits of your pursuit. Mate mike are you a boat mate. Do you just drag around on top the water and hope for a bite or do you look for underwater structure or variances in temp. Same thing go into any bush an research it and make notes.You can even see who was there before ya if you know how and even look at the trees to see whos been setting it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanx for all the info guys. I already know this is a very informative site; I have learned a lot already (still a long way to go). I do know I will learn more being in the woods I just want to read when I'm not there. As far a my name - Mate Mike - most of my fishing friends own boats and go by the names of Capt this and that; they all know I have no desire to own a boat so they tagged me with Mate Mike. I do a lot of salt-water fishing both off the coast of NJ and in Mexico and have won several tournaments and know one learns more being on the water then reading magazines but I have learned some things from reading. The BIG difference between fishing and bow hunting is fishing is usually with others (to learn from) but bow hunting is usually all by your lonesome. That being said - I want to gain as much knowledge as I can in every way I can and this includes reading. I have bow hunted for about 30+/- years but have never hunted in New Jersey. Right now I go into the woods and it blows my mind that deer manage to survive and thrive in Pines. I’m used to hard wood forests where the mast deer feed on is plentiful, I can't figure what the heck deer eat in these Pine areas (other then the bait hunters put out). Thanx again for the info, I'm sure you will see a lot more questions from me. BTW - I just joined UBNJ.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
The bait men put it out to Chum them up.Have to watch what its called here so you don't get crucified by the ones that don't favor it.And maybe they don't have the right set up to be able to bait?Maybe they like a walk in the woods to? Whos to begrudge how a deer is shot.As far as the state goes they like baiting because the deer get shot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts