New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
It’s the hunter’s fault, if he only jingled his keys like the Bear Group advises this would never of happened. Of if he was in a bear proof garbage can he would have been alright.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I can't ran that far or fast, because of my defibulator would go off... Making me Bear Food....I would have tried to put some arrows in that Mother... Thanks Hkdonfishn

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would have taken out the ol' buck 110 and had it out with that bear. match of the century. 300lb bruin only has about 40-50 lbs on me.

In reality, i probably would have booked it out of the woods just like that guy did. but its fun to say i wouldnt.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Wow, that's some story. I'm amazed the guy actually got away after being chased for that long. I would hate to ever be caught in that situation, not sure what I would do with panic setting in and all.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
that's why you need to bring another hunter with you and you need to make sure you can outrun that other hunter.:D

But all kidding aside...that's just scarey. i can't beleive he outran the bear. they are fast. i bet he "shiet" his scivies.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to start bringing in the Handgun when I go out there. I know my [no swearing please] can't out run a Bear. I would be dinner for sure.[down]

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I saw the trail marker on tv where he was supposed to have come out and run to the neighbors. If that bear chased him a half mile than he was parked in the same lot as me, And was probably only a quarter mile below me. I've seen bears run by me during bow season for the past 3 years. One even chewed on my deer leg that I left over night. Dragged it 10' and tried to cover it. Hope they open that 1 day bow season next year. :) Just glad he made it ok.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
SOUNDS KIND OF HOKIE TO ME IF THE BEAR WANTED TO CATCH HIM IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NO PROBLEM FOR THE BEAR TO RUN HIM DOWN.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Bigstash I have to agree with you. That bear would of had him in a 1/2 mile. If you get a 1/2 mile off Pleasant hill you are headed DOWN hill. So that means this guy out ran a bear while running up hill.
I know there are atleast 3 bears there Have treed them all. had one go from RR bed to buttermilk falls in mendham.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 11 Sep 2005 12:12 PM

Currently Offline Posts: 491
I am going to start bringing in the Handgun when I go out there. I know my [no swearing please] can't out run a Bear. I would be dinner for sure.
I have considered that, but if you get caught by the police you better ghave a carry permit.

I carry pepper spray in case the bear wants to season me before he eats me.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
guess I need to start packing a pot and pan in my pack from now on. The anti's say that is all you need to scare off a bear!!!!:D

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well instead of a Handgun, maybe I will just bring one of them Anti's with me and make sure they can't run faster then me and then they will find out just how cute and furry them Bears are. :D[up]

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Well instead of a Handgun, maybe I will just bring one of them Anti's with me and make sure they can't run faster then me and then they will find out just how cute and furry them Bears are.
Just make sure that they start out in front of you so that you can trip them,then just run by them and let the bear have it's way.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts