New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some rage broadheads, the 40 ke ones and just realized these are more for bows with shorter draw lengths and lighter wieghts which i have neither, do you think this matters or is it no good, they shoot awesome on my bow...just going by what the package says. any input?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
i think they will work fine your ya...they are designed for set ups with less KE...basicly a smaller cutting diameter and a more sweped blade...at 1.5" cutting width is more than enough to produce great blood trails...being that your set up has more KE i dont think you will have any problems what so ever

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Bigger is always better
i thought that before...problem i had was when expandables first started coming out i thought bigger is better...i was shooting a 3 bladed head with about a 2 and 3/4 cut...problem was my setup didnt have the KE to push that size of head all the way through...the first deer i shot with one was at 12 yards slightly quartered away...the shot was great however the broadhead didnt exit the off shoulder...with him being so close the entrance hole was high on the body...so my blood trail was crap with no exit hole...granted he only went about 40 yds and piled up and the internal damage was awsome...had he gone far or into some real thick crap recovery could have been hard....so i now stick with expandables with no greater than 1.5" to 1 3/4" cutting diamater...since than ive never not had a complete pass through even on deer that a quarting away hard at 40yds

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
The biggest issue with the original 2" rage 2 blade is they don't go through bone well. Guys that hit a deer without hitting shoulder will tell you its the best head made and then the first time they hit a shoulder they cuss the head like there is no tomorrow. The 40ke was designed to limit the complaints about lack of penetration. They are marketed toward lower KE bows but should function fine in any bow. I would choose the 40ke over the standard 2 blade for those what if shots that seem to happen. If you catch the shoulder you have a much better chance of getting that 40ke through it than the standard 2" model. Anybody that says you need a 2" broadhead to kill a deer is compensating for something else. 1.5 inches is more than enough cutting diameter.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
indians used rocks haha just makin sure the 40ke are ok/?

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
It was just a joke with the "bigger is better" thing. But if you are shooting sufficient k/e out of your bow there's no reason to not shoot the 2" rage's. I've had no problems with penetration blowing through both shoulders last year on a doe at 40 yards. The cut they make is awesome.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
i shot a buck with 2 blade and watched it die like 30 yards away and the hole was awesome! my butcher was impressed, this was when they 1st came out my friends use them issue free thus far

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.