New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sighting in my brand new muzzleloader today. I was all excited. I took it all apart last night and cleaned as per manufacturers recommendation. Lubed it with Bore Butter and put it make together. Well today I took 30 shots with it. Cleaned it after every shot. Gave it time to cool down. It was fun and we got is sighter in to 50 yards.
I broght it home to night and went to give it a good cleaning and what happens. The nipple seems fused into the barrel. That damn thing won't budge. I blame the Bore Butter. It said to make sur ethe nipple is lupricated. So I did.
So now I have to contact Traditions or a gunsmith to see what to do now. This sucks.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Are you related to Craig by any chance?:p:D

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The Bore Butter is for the bore only. For any threaded parts, like the breach plug, you must use an anti-seize lubricant.

Soak the entire thing in very hot water. Then while it's still hot, get a socket wrench and tap it gently until you get some movement. If that fails try using penetrating oil.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Bore Butter is for the bore only. For any threaded parts, like the breach plug, you must use an anti-seize lubricant
Any suggestions on how to get the nipple out?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soak the entire thing in very hot water
I would assume I would have to take the scope off then.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Any suggestions on how to get the nipple out?
I usually start with some wine. Not for me, I want to be sober the whole time. Let her get really drunk, then after a few more drinks.....

Oh the muzzleloader.....Cant help you pal, I only know the technical aspects of bows.:D

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Bore Butter works great as most other T/C products do.
Think you'll have to send your gun back to Traditions.Or,sometimes you might be able to get it turned by using the correct size socket w/ a ratchet instead of the little tool they give you.Good luck.

·
Registered
751 Posts
When mine got stuck I just cranked it off with a socket wrench. Now I've learned three things.

1. Use the anti sieze liberally (some use teflon tape, Gorilla grease, bla bla - NOT bore butter and NOT anything with oil).
2. After every 4-5 shots just crack the BP to make sure it's not getting stuck
3. To begin with - only hand tighten it. It doesn't have to be torqued down hard.

Sorry this happened to you. I was pretty ticked when it happened to me because I already knew better and just forgot #2 above.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I know zero about muzzleloaders but the guy at cabelas could not have told me enough on the way to the door, make sure you use tons of anti-seize.

Anyway, ole mechanics trick, I would take the scope off and soak it in very hot water, and actually try tightening the nipple then loosening it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I would assume I would have to take the scope off then.
You don't have to if you're careful, you're only concerned with submerging the breech plug end and getting it as hot as possible. I have a waterproof scope so the whole thing goes in.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I usually start with some wine. Not for me, I want to be sober the whole time. Let her get really drunk, then after a few more drinks.....
Matty,

You know, there are a number of guys, yours truly included, that don't need alcohol or sedatives to "get" a woman. :p :D

David

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
try droping some gun oil down in the nipple and holding it so the oil can get to the threads. Then use a nipple tool and carefuly turn it. If you start to mess-up the nipple and you can get a pair of vice-grips on the nipple use that and then go buy a new nipple for you smoke pole.

·
Registered
499 Posts
there is a product called "never seize" it's good to 2000 degrees, i've used it on exhust manifold bolts, and the stuff works. like others said bore butter is for the barrel, remington makes a good breech plug lube with teflon, but go to an auto parts store, and purchase some never seize some things work

·
Registered
546 Posts
OMG Matty, LMAO and you wonder why these threads always head to the crotch!

You know, there are a number of guys, yours truly included, that don't need alcohol or sedatives to "get" a woman.
Bragging there, David? LOL you guys are nuts!

Well with all this help, I hope you get your ML fixed there mpemt.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am going to have to try tonight.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Gorilla grease on the breach plug works great. I haven't had any problems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts