New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/...+cops+mace+groundhog++respond+to+brazen+bear+

BOONTON TWP. — A berserk groundhog who attempted to attack a resident and two police officers was maced on Thursday, just a few days after a ravenous black bear strolled into an open garage and gorged itself on meat from a freezer.

"It's been crazy," said Officer Tom Cacciabeve, who responded to the bear complaint at a Southview Drive home on Saturday afternoon and assisted two officers on Thursday's wild woodchuck call.

The bear complaint was made by homeowner James Tepper, who told police his garage door was left open within a three-hour window that afternoon while his wife and son were at home and he was downstairs.

Tepper went into the garage at 5 p.m. and found a mess of meat wrappers and garbage strewn about. His wife, Elizabeth Abercrombie, also noticed the trail of garbage extended outside the garage.

The freezer was also wide open, and Tepper quickly realized the culprit after calculating the loss of approximately 10 pounds of frozen meat and chicken and the telltale signs of fur left behind.

"I looked and I realized the inside of the freezer was dusty and dirty and I looked more closely and saw four or five, three-inch long curly black hairs and I went, 'Oh my God, it was a black bear,' " Tepper said on Thursday.

The bruin, which swiped several packages of chicken breasts, hamburgers, sausage, steaks and a loaf of whole wheat bread, took the items that were the most accessible, Tepper said.

The bear was unable to reach a 20-pound turkey at the bottom of the freezer and it showed a clear dislike for one specific thing. "He was not interested in my Birds Eye vegetables," Tepper said.

The 55-year-old Tepper, who said he's seen many bears during his 10 years living on the same cul-de-sac, said he never felt threatened by their presence before. But Saturday's incident changed his mind, he said.

"I've had them on the property several times, but they've never been a problem," Tepper said. "I've never seen a bear try to enter my house."

Darlene Yuhas, a spokeswoman for the Department of Environmental Protection, said the state was not aware of the incident but would set up a trap for the bear if Tepper wanted it.

Tepper said he plans to follow the advice of Cacciabeve and keep his garage door closed at all times. Police Sgt. Mike Danyo and Officer Paul Ryan on Thursday encountered a different type of aggressive behavior. The pair found themselves pitted against an angry groundhog at an Oak Street home.

The resident, Alex Scott, told police he had attempted to leave his house at 11:46 a.m. and entered his garage to get his truck when the groundhog began to chase him. Scott, who kicked the animal several times but was unable to evade it, ran back into his house and called police.

When Danyo and Ryan arrived and Scott attempted to show them where the groundhog was, the rodent sprang toward the officers, Cacciabeve said.

Danyo tripped and fell as the groundhog pursued him, Cacciabeve said. But Ryan, who jumped out of the way as the groundhog charged at his feet, discharged the pepper spray into the rodent's face, Cacciabeve said.

The spray disoriented the groundhog and allowed Ryan to retrieve a snare from the back of the patrol car, said Cacciabeve, who had responded to assist.

The officers snared the groundhog and held it until assistant animal control officer Sandy Burkhardt arrived to cage it. The animal was later euthanized and its remains will be shipped today to the Department of Health and Senior Services for rabies testing.

Tehani Schneider: 973-428-6631; [email protected]

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
A berserk groundhog who attempted to attack a resident and two police officers was maced on Thursday, just a few days after a ravenous black bear strolled into an open garage and gorged itself on meat from a freezer.
What's next... a killer rabbit?!?!?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Sad cops can shoot a person if there is aggression from a person, but can't kill a ground hog. the aco has to do it! It is either SICK or not afraid of HUMANS.

Just this statement will make many think or say why kill the ground hog at all. or well the aco is the person that is trained to do it.

And some are saying wtf is he talkin about LOL

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
This is all just so unbeleivable, I want to say this $hit is just a bunch of made up crap but, well...you just couldn't make this stuff up.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
"I looked and I realized the inside of the freezer was dusty and dirty and I looked more closely and saw four or five, three-inch long curly black hairs and I went, 'Oh my God, it was a black bear,' "
OMG there has been a black bear in my bath tub.[eek]

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
well the bear is after meat...what or who is next??[wallmad]
Danyo tripped and fell as the groundhog pursued him, Cacciabeve said. But Ryan, who jumped out of the way as the groundhog charged at his feet, discharged the pepper spray into the rodent's face, Cacciabeve said.
[rofl][rofl] i can just see this happening...glad he wasnt hurt by the hog..could have had rabies. too bad he couldnt just blow it away[wallmad]

·
Registered
10,660 Posts
Darlene Yuhas, a spokeswoman for the Department of Environmental Protection, said the state was not aware of the incident but would set up a trap for the bear if Tepper wanted it.
just setting this guy up for harrassment by the BEAR groupies and their cronies [down]

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
if that had happened to my house...i'd show them a bear trap alright...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
How about just kick the thing in the face?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
1) Trap, how many bears and groundhogs tripping up police as the animals pursue refuge?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Quote:

How about just kick the thing in the face?
Thats what cracks me up... grown men running from a rodent!![rofl][rofl] Bet they are afraid of spiders too [eyeroll]

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
I don't see what is so funny[confused] I have told you all many times that Ground Grizzlies have been known to take the heads of hunters and eat their young!!

BEWARE OF THE GROUND GRIZZLIES[spy][spy][spy][spy]

Shoot Straight!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.