New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A large bobcat crossed in front of me on Cansitear road this morning at 5:30. I was leaving Highland lakes coming up the hill, when he crossed right to left. Had to be a 30 pound animal.

·
Registered
409 Posts
i have a spot in allamuchy where I saw two this sat, unbelievable beautiful animals they were killing mice in the fielkd and tossing them back forth to each other, my son wanted me to shoot them. Last one I saw was fiftenn years ago in jefferson.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I have a friend up that way. She's a city girl and asked if there were any on canistear rd. Said she thought she saw one. I said yeah but I still thought she saw something else.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
If you call the Division to report sightings, it will help speed up the process to have them de-listed as state endangered. But word of caution, you don't want to report them on your own property, always give nearby public land. The reason being that all endangered species sightings are recorded and when you go to apply for a permit to build a deck or add an addition, etc., the endangered species sighting will red flag and can sometimes cause delays in your permits. Not always, but word of advice from someone that applies for DEP permits for river restoration work constantly and who has to deal with lots of delays for animals and plants most of us never even knew existed. ;)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Guys:

Yesterday I was on County Lane Road in Somerset County and I think I saw one. I stopped to get my camera out of the back seat of the car but it was gone before I could take a picture.

This was no house cat; it was too big and muscular.

Are Bobcats this far South?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Maybe I was correct. They have been seen in Somerset!!!!

"The New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife’s Endangered and Nongame
Species Program (ENSP) conducted a scent post survey in 1995 and confirmed bobcat
presence in Sussex, Warren, Morris, and Passaic counties. In addition, reliable bobcat
sightings have been reported from Mercer, Somerset, Bergen, Burlington, Ocean,
Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland, and Salem counties (Sciascia, pers. comm. 1997"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts