New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my boat today and I was wondering if anyone could help me with what I need to have in the boat as far as safety. I know that you need floatation devices,whistle,fire extinguisher,and a reflective device.Is there anything else I need? It's a 16 footer so do I need a throwable floatation device? Thanks in advance

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm Jersey Jim... I think you may be right, what a nice guy for you to offer,You're welcome anytime.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I live down the shore and have been to boating safety courses, and theres a list of items you should have. Off the top of my head, enough life jackets for everyone on the boat, read the boat which will list max. weight / people the boat can handle, and if your in the bay waters don't exceed that because coast guard or state police marine div will stop you and check. Fire extinguisher, rope, type II throwable flotation device, flairs, first aid kit, whistle (i prefer those annoying air horns). I may have forgot a few but go to new jersey state police website marine division I think they have a list of items on there. As a word of warning, nj has been chaning its marine boating laws, and depending on your age you may need to take the new boating safety course and get your new boaters safety id card in order to operate your boat. They are phasing in that in 2 or 3 years everyone must have one to operate any vessel (jet ski to fishing boats for recreational purposes. Also dmv now requires you to take that id card and get "BOAT" put on your license in order to operate a boat on non-tidal (freshwater lakes etc...) waters. The boating safety course sounds like a pain in the [no swearing please] but it is very informative.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
dbuck - Below is my list of things I bring out with me EVERYTIME I leave the boat ramp!!!! It may seem like a lot, but it all is easily stowed in a blaze orange dry bag and a blaze orange drybox!!!

I have a 16' Sylvan Fisherman and get down to Tuckerton area in Little Egg Harbor (fog rolls in down there out of nowhere, so the following may seem extreme, but trust me, it's better to be prepared!!!).

A throwable life line is NOT required for a 16' boat, but it's not a bad idea to have one!!!

Neither is a VHF Radio, but it's a good idea to have one - Here's why:

My buddy and I were in the Atlantic Highlands/Highlands areas of Sandy Hook Bay / Navesink / Shrewsbury River where cell phones DO NOT WORK, and the handheld VHF I had in my bag on my his boat helped when his 21' $28,000.00 boat took on a leak and started sinking - the bilge pump was inoperable!!! It was nice to be able to reach Sea Tow and have them bring a pump, even though we had beached the boat to prevent it from sinking.

Here's my list:
(1) Floatation cushion for each adult. I also have life vests stowed in a forward enclosed storage area, but they are NOT required, as the floatation cushion is sufficient to p [no swearing please] Coast Guard and State Marine Police Inspections.

(Trust me, I get checked every year by both the Coast Guard at Sandy Hook AND Marine Police in Sea Bright!!!! Also, my good friend is a State Trooper who is assigned to the NJ State Marine Police Barracks in Pt. Pleasant - He's patrolled both the North and South zones, but is now mainly patrolling the South zone.)

(2) Heads up floatation jacket/life vest for each child (2 years old - 10 years old - This is MY rule and ALL must be able to swim and float on their backs, or NO boat!!!)
(3) Bailer (Chlorox bottle w/bottom cut off)
(4) extra boat plug
(5) extendable paddle w/boat hook on other end
(6) spare anchor w/line
(7) "blaze orange" daytime distress flag
(8) air horn
(9) fire extinguisher
(10) 12 ga. Orion Flare Kit w/spare flares
(11) handheld flares
(12) Uniden handheld VHF radio (w/weather channels)
(13) Engineers Compass
(14) Captains Chart for the area you'll be navigating
(15) Garmin handheld GPS
(16) 10' tapered Cedar Push Pole (for gettin' off of the occasional flat/sand bar when they "shift" after a storm and from year to year - Captain's charts are pretty accurate, but they are usually a year or more old and Mother Nature changes things daily!!!)
(17) rain gear & clear plastic glasses/goggles (that rain hurts when trying to get in when a squall kicks up out of nowhere)
(18) First Aid Kit

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I stand corrected...

My boat is actually 15'9" so it is registered as under 16' by DMV.

A throwable floatation device IS required for boats of 16' and over...

Note: The floatation cushions DO qualify as a throwable device, but they must be USCG approved and in good condition!!!

I am not required to carry all of the stuff that I do, since the boat is slightly under 16', but I have found it necessary to use every item listed, except for the fire extinguisher, daytime distress flag, and flares, at least once if not more in 36 years of boating in the tidal rivers and bays in NJ.

I almost used the flares once in March 2003 when we were lost in the fog at night after an 8 hour day of clamming....Learned how to use the GPS/Capt. Chart combo "indoctrination under fire" to get us back to port later that night.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Take a boating cl [no swearing please] they are inexpensive and do teach you a few things if your a novice. You also get a discount on your insurance when you complete a saftey course. Check out www.boatus.com ,they have some info and an online safety course.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys,it is very helpful

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Try the NJ. Power Squadron. And pick yourself up a copy of, Chapman Piloting Seamanship & Small Boat Handling. There's nothing it can't teach you. Expierance is something you'll have to acquire on your own.:)

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Also make sure the flares have not expired. You might also want to pay the fee for Sea Tow. The fee isn't as expensive as using them and not being a member. I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
mpe is right. If you will be using the boat in saltwater sign up for one of the towing services like Sea Tow. It's like $100 for the year and covers unlimited towing. Even if you are a only a few miles out a towing bill can run $300-$600. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Boats will be in the water in a couple months. Get on this stuff quick. The season will be here before you know it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts