New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a ten foot jonboat,i was told i need to register it if i use an electric motor with it. problem is, it was a gift from a friend he had it on the property he bought in PA. how do i go about this?[confused]

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i'd call dmv but you probably need a notarized copy of a letter saying it was a gift, etc.. or he sold it to you for $1.00.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
There is a form on the DMC website. Fill it out, get your buddies signature, get is notarized, should be ok.

-dan

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys[up] gonna try it..

Franco...

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Franco,

I've dealt with the morons at DMV regarding the same situation. Here's exactly what you have to do:

1) Does the boat have a DIN # on it (boat's version of a car VIN #)? If it doesn't, you've got alot of crap ahead of you.
2) Assuming it does, have your friend sign a letter saying that you've been given this boat as a gift.
3) Then take this letter to your bank and have it notarized. NOTE: do not sign your name onto this paper until you are in front of the person who will notirize it.
4) Go to DMV and register the boat.

If the boat does not have a DIN# on it, DMV will make you go to a State Police unit, and you'll need to go through a meeting with them and they will assign a DIN # to it.

Good luck as this process is a giant pain in the arse.

David

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks for the info, I am in the same boat. Bought a 12 ft v bottom 5 years ago and the previous owner mailed me the title which I lost. I just bought a used outboard and need to register it, sounds like I have some fun times ahead with the DMV.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man i had no idea what big pain it would be, David i checked DMV and they said as long as the boat has a motor, electric or gas,it has to be registerd.and as far as i can see, it has no ID or vin on it.

Thanks for all the help guys[up][up]

Franco..

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I build duckboat from scratch with my mold and I go to Bi-Vavle Marine Police station to get it titled it, doesn't take very long. Any boat that is propelled by any mean other then you has to be reg. It really isn't that big of deal, I have done it with utility trailer, boat, etc.

Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.