New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I no this is a hunting site but i no there are alot of guys on here that no about boats.Im looking to buy my first boat. Im trying to get one for fishing and the family. My wife wants a pontoon boat. But i told her im not sure of there safety always thought of them as a lake boat. I like the carolina skiffs. I want a boat 17ft and under im gonna trailer it every where. Now i heard the older skiffs are ruff riding and you get wet. Im looking to buy new do they still have these problems. I want a boat for back bay fishing and crabbing. So could anyone offer some info on these boats or something else that would be fisher friendly and good for the family. I mainly will be backbay fishing brigatine and summers point. I dont ever plan on going in the ocean with what ever i buy.thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have a 19.5 RG corolina skiff. Its not a flat bottom. The boat is awesome.I can go 50 miles up and down the coast as well as run in as low as 1 1/2 ft in the back water. I trailer it everywhere.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
the first thing you need to do is fgure out exactly , what you need in a boat , do you have young children that may need to nap , or the wife to go to the potty , may need something like a 20' trophy walkaround that has a little cuddy and porta potty , or is it going to be a staight fishing boat with that being said center consoles are nice case you can fish all the way around , but what do you do if you want a little shelter !! so my point being is figure out exactly what your looking for, for you and the family, i wanted a center console for fishng but i have three little kids 11-8-3 so i went with the walk around can cabin...then you look at the makes!!!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have two young girls. But i have family down the shore so they would only be out a couple hrs at a time. The boat is for me for fishing and crabbing but i want to take family out once in a while. My wife realy wants a pontoon boat and if she cant get that she dont care what i get. So i would like something i can take out every weekend and not spend 500 in gas every week. Thats another reason im leaning toward a smaller boat. I like raynebo boat. Im going to the ac boat show but figured id ask someone who isnt trying to sell me something for info. Im looking at the 17ft carolina skiff but after seeing a pic of raynebos boat i wanna look into that.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[rofl][rofl] i no its just hard cause she is realy into it. She is on line building boats and telling me about it. She built a pontoon boat that had to livewells two fishing chares extra rod holders and a electric wine rack. So i feel bad cause i would get one for her i just dont think it would be a good boat other than on a lake.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I have a 18' Wellcraft CC. Can do everything you list and more. You say you won't go out front but when the birds are working and you have a little flat bottom boat you will miss out. It has nice high sides to keep the kids in the boat, Carolinas are great boats but I would have your kids climb in one at the AC boat show.
And get one with enough power to tube and ski, because kids love that stuff.
Lastly, you need a boater course!
Good luck

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
if there is 1 thing all boat owners do is they buy TOO SMALL the first time around. Truelly think everyone of us who has been boating has done it. Always starts with im only going to do this , then as posted you hear the bass are just out front etc.. Best advise when buying a boat is to fish with some other guys who own already and then judge what you want to do in it.

I think an 18 would be the minimum I would look at with a family. Having a TTOP at RB boat has here makes it fish like a much bigger boat for the following reason.
It adds lift to the boat when running, gets the rods up off the sides and gives alot more room to walk around than a bimini top. all things you want to think about.

with children you want higher sides than most bay boats have. 19 footers such as Pioneer, Mako, Parker offer a lot more protection for your family when it does kick up in the middle of a nice day.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
A lot of good advice on here.

Pontoon boats, pontoons are usually aluminum, after a couple of years the salt water takes the toll and the pontoons start to leak. The skirt along with the bimini tops acts as a sail, and since they sit so high on the water, they are hard to control in rough weather, which can sneak up on you.

Skiffs with the low gunwales I don't recommend if you have smaller kids. Wakes from bigger boats rock the shit out of them. Its usually not the bottom of the boat that keeps you from getting into the creeks, its the motor shaft which hangs below the boat.

The boat I have for sale is a 23ft center console. I use it all summer and don't go thru $400 worth of fuel with the 4 stroke on the back. The center console is big enough for a porta pot, that always makes the wife and kids happy. Beleive me, they can go to the bathroom before they leave the house, and 30 minutes later they need to go AGAIN. Wife, and grandkids taught me that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.