New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that do saltwater fishing via boat what type of electronics do you use?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
drome,

I am not the most current on what's out there, as I sold my boat 3 years ago, but here is my $0.02.

We were divers, so finding the wrecks was most important to us, which when fishing, structure is important.

I had 2 GPS units, Both Garmin. One strictly GPS, the other GPS/Map/Fish finder. Also had a Si-Tec 106 color fish finder. The color unit was great because it would indicate bottom conditions (mud, sand, rock etc)

A hard mount VHF radio, plus a back up hand held is probably the most important piece of electronics. Radar is nice if you are out early in the fog. We also had an EPRIB and a life raft, but we were going a good distance off shore.

Good deals can be found on ebay for a lot of this stuff, but make sure it comes with antenas and transducers, or that good deal becomes expensive very quickly.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
I have a Eagle 480DF for my finder. Raymarine fixed and handheld VHF radios and Magellan handheld GPS. Nothing too fancy but enough to make out and back!:D

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am starting out, i have handheld gps, garmin vista, a pirahna 2 fish finder, a hard mount vhf.

Anyone know of any good classes or books on how to use the fish finders etc?

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
You should be all set Drome. When you launch make sure you mark a waypoint on the gps. If you loose your bearings or fog rolls in you can get back. As for classes,,,practice practice practice..This is my 2nd with this finder and I finally have it figured out for fresh and salt. Bring the manuel with you every trip and try the settings. Thats the only way you'll learn it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
i'm using the new lowrance x 107c grreat unit still learning to use it. 480 vert and horiz pixels, so nice clear screen, good to 2500ft, a little over kill. i bought the one with the duel frequency transducer, gives temp and speed also. i ilke the duel frequency, you can see your downrigger ball on the screen and drop it at the same level as the fish you are marking !!!!!! can also see a jig on the screen very good unit, highly recomend this unit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts