1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/06/high_pcb_levels_found_in_strip.html

High PCB levels found in striped bass, bluefish caught off East Coast
by The Associated Press Wednesday June 03, 2009, 1:20 PM

Seven East Coast states, including New Jersey, are advising pregnant women and young children to avoid eating striped bass and large bluefish caught in state waters because of high PCB levels in the migratory fish.

The Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention said today that pregnant women, women who may get pregnant, nursing mothers and children under 8 should avoid the fish altogether. Everybody else is being warned to limit consumption to four meals a year.

Along with New Jersey, officials said similar advisories are being issued in New Hampshire, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware and Maryland.

Maine's bluefish and striped bass advisory dates to 2000, when people were advised to limit consumption to no more than two meals per month.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Polychlorinated Biphenyl, commonly known as PCB, was used in hundreds of industrial and commercial applications until the chemical was banned in 1979. PCBs have been demonstrated to cause cancer, as well as a variety of other adverse health effects on the immune system, reproductive system, nervous system, and endocrine system, according to the EPA.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
thanks for info. This is so sad how polluted our nations waterways have become. I did a term paper back in the 90's on mercury in the fish. No one was even aware that you could get mercury from fish in the whole class including my chemistry teacher.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
So I can't eat the 10 pounds of striper and bluefish fillets I have in my freezer??
Sure you can. one meal every 3 months is fine according to the warning-just don't feed it to your wife and kids

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
I recall a while back these "Tests" were questioned because they were done on WHLOE RAW FISH run thru a blender than sampled when clean filets were sampled it was FAR FAR LOWER and when those filets were COOKED via Broiling or poaching the amount of known carsinagins was almost nill.

I know that it is racest and subversive now to even think of questioning the government but have things gotten any smarter in Washington and Trenton....realy?
Just call me the Whole raw Bluefish eating Prostafer.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
"Oficals said" "EPA says about PCB's" that artical is a load of ....well you know.
Who do you ask How were the tests done? What size fish? What portion of the fish was tested? Can we see the results? What lab did what teast? NOTHING in the artical tells you any details.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I got this email today from the FWLISTS update and am truly saddened. We are killing ourselves slowly on this planet. No longer will the statement; "I eat what I catch" hold water anymore.

Sardines are the safest fish to eat at the moment. Anything at the bottom of the foodchain. Unfortunately, they don't put up much of a fight on rod & reel.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good grief!

check out this chart:

http://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=17694

i'm friends with a family that have been eating eels for their whole lives. i better warn them, especially the 90 year old father[eyeroll]

Maximum servings that can be safely eaten each month
Fish Name WOMEN MEN OLDER KIDS YOUNG KIDS Health Risk
Alewife 0 0 0 0 PCBs
Bass, striped (wild) 0 0 0 0 mercury, PCBs
Bluefish 0 0 0 0 mercury, PCBs
Croaker, white 0 0 0 0 PCBs
Eel, American 0 0 0 0 mercury, PCBs
Eel, European 0 0 0 0 PCBs
Shad 0 0 0 0 PCBs
Sturgeon, wild (imported) 0 0 0 0 mercury, PCBs
Weakfish 0 0 0 0 mercury, PCBs
Mackerel, king 0 ½ 0 0 mercury
Tuna, bluefin 0 ½ 0 0 mercury, PCBs
Marlin 0 1 0 0 mercury
Shark 0 1 0 0 mercury
Swordfish 0 1 0 0 mercury
Croaker, Atlantic 1 1 ½ ½ PCBs
Flounder, summer 1 1 ½ ½ PCBs
Flounder, winter 1 1 1 ½ PCBs
Opah 1 1 1 ½ mercury
Salmon (wild WA) 1 1 1 ½ PCBs
Salmon, farmed/Atlantic 1 1 1 ½ PCBs
Tuna, bigeye 1 1 1 ½ mercury
Orange roughy 2 1 1 ½ mercury
Chilean sea bass 2 2 1 1 mercury
Crab, blue 2 2 1 1 mercury, PCBs
Lingcod 2 2 1 1 mercury
Mackerel, Spanish 2 2 1 1 mercury
Rockfish 2 2 1 1 mercury, PCBs
Seatrout, spotted 2 2 1 1 mercury, PCBs
Grouper 3 2 2 1 mercury
Snapper, mutton 3 2 2 1 mercury
Wahoo 3 2 2 1 mercury
Eel, American conger 3 3 2 1 mercury
Eel, European conger 3 3 2 1 mercury
Oysters (wild) 3 3 2 1 PCBs
Sturgeon, Atlantic 3 3 2 1 mercury
Tuna, canned white/albacore 3 3 2 1 mercury
Tuna, yellowfin 4 3 2 1 mercury
Tilefish 4+ 4 3 2 mercury
Halibut 4+ 4+ 3 2 mercury
Mahimahi 4+ 4+ 3 2 mercury
Sablefish 4+ 4+ 3 2 mercury
Snapper (imported) 4+ 4+ 3 2 mercury
Snapper, red 4+ 4+ 3 2 mercury
Snapper, silk 4+ 4+ 3 2 mercury
Snapper, vermilion 4+ 4+ 3 2 mercury
Snapper, yellowtail 4+ 4+ 3 2 mercury
Sole, English 4+ 4+ 3 2 PCBs
Trout, rainbow (farmed) 4+ 4+ 3 2 PCBs
Monkfish 4+ 4+ 4+ 3 mercury
Pompano, Florida 4+ 4+ 4+ 3 mercury
Sea bass, black 4+ 4+ 4+ 3 mercury
Skate 4+ 4+ 4+ 3 mercury
Tuna, albacore (U.S., Canada) 4+ 4+ 4+ 3 mercury
Tuna, canned light 4+ 4+ 4+ 3 mercury
Crab, Dungeness 4+ 4+ 4+ 4 PCBs
Salmon, wild (Alaska) 4+ 4+ 4+ 4 PCBs
It's safe to eat 4 or more meals per month of the following: Anchovies, Clams, Cod, Atlantic, Crab, king (U.S.), Crab, snow/tanner, Crawfish (U.S.), Haddock (trawl), Herring, Atlantic , Lobster, American/Maine, Mackerel, Atlantic, Mussel, blue , Oysters (farmed), Red porgy (U.S.), Salmon (canned), Sardines, Scallops, bay (farmed), Shrimp, pink (Oregon), Shrimp/prawns (imported), Squid, Tilapia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Women: These advisories are for women ages 18-75, with a body weight of 144 pounds and a meal size of 6 ounces (a little more than one-third pound) of fish before cooking.

Men: These advisories are for men ages 18-75, with a body weight of 172 pounds and a meal size of 8 ounces (one-half pound) of fish before cooking.

Older kids: These advisories are for children ages 6-12, with a body weight of 67 pounds and a meal size of 4.5 ounces (a little more than one-quarter pound) of fish before cooking.

Young kids: These advisories are for children ages 0-6, with a body weight of 32 pounds and a meal size of 3 ounces (a little less than one-quarter pound) of fish before cooking.

Young children are especially sensitive to the effects of seafood contaminants, since their nervous systems are still developing. If your child’s body weight or average meal size is drastically different from that assumed above, please adjust the consumption advisory accordingly.

For example, larger portions contain more contaminants, so fewer meals may be eaten safely every month. Similarly, children with lower body weights may be harmed by smaller quantities of contaminants and should consume fewer meals per month than in the table above.

Teens: Follow the advisory above that most closely matches individual body weight and meal size.

For young adults ages 12 to 18, choose the consumption advisories for either children or adults, depending on the individual's body weight and typical meal size.

Complete methodology for our health information »

Posted: 27-Nov-2007; Updated: 13-Apr-2009

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
This is a smokescreen. Worry about all the pharmaceuticals in the water supply. You had steroids and lipitor today and didn't know it[spy] Pills get excreted and remain active for years and are not filtered out, drink up[eek][wallmad]

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
None of this is new been going on for 20 years or so.

Not dead yet but then don't eat skunks like bluefish.[rofl][rofl][rofl]

Bluefish salad can deal with or bluefish chowda but thats about it for those fish.[hihi][hihi]

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats some list Frank now thanks alot
you know glenn, i have around 15 lbs of fresh striper in the freezer. then i had to run into this "news release"[wallmad]. i figured posting it would be worth a few chuckles. that striper will get eaten[tasty]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.