New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this article today and thought that it would be an excellent read for a novice hunter like myself. It goes into some explanation on how to decipher things like blood and hair found at the location of the deer you shot at.

Bloodtrailing

David

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I was reading up on my gps, doesn't have anything to do with bloodtrails but some gps you can line up two lines and sight an object, hit a button and it will mark its approximate location. Seems like a good way to mark the last seen location of a deer you shot so you don't forget where it last was when you get out of your stand.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but I carry a small roll of toilet paper and mark the blood trail as I go along. You can quickly retrace your steps if you lose the trail. After the first rain the toilet paper disappears so you don't have to go back and pick it up. Toilet paper is also good to have for the other reasons ;)

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 19 Oct 2005 5:38 PM

Monster Buck
Currently Offline Posts: 1087
I was reading up on my gps, doesn't have anything to do with bloodtrails but some gps you can line up two lines and sight an object, hit a button and it will mark its approximate location. Seems like a good way to mark the last seen location of a deer you shot so you don't forget where it last was when you get out of your stand.
I use my GPS reciever to track wounded deer if there is no blood trail. I take a back bearing with my magnetic comp [no swearing please] on the last place I could see the deer. I create a waypoint on my reciver at the spot I shot. Then I set a "GO TO" for that waypoint. Now the when bearing on the reciver matches the bearing on the comp [no swearing please] I know I am looking for blood in the right spot. I once found a deer that went 150 yds with no visible blood trail like that.

There is a chemical called Luminol that turns bright blue when it comes in contact with blood. They market it for hunters, but I think it can be purchased genericly cheaper. It is used by law enforcement at crime scenes. (At least on CSI and Law & Order TV shows)

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would never use my GPS for bloodtrailing because I personally don't trust my GPS when it comes to being accurate; less than 30 feet. I'd go with toilet paper if I needed to mark something.

David

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 11 Jan 2006 4:19 PM

Monster Buck
Currently Offline Posts: 1368
I would never use my GPS for bloodtrailing because I personally don't trust my GPS when it comes to being accurate; less than 30 feet. I'd go with toilet paper if I needed to mark something.

David
you need a new GPS reciever

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
230grain hollowpoint= you need a new GPS reciever
Well said HP, the GPS is the best tool to come along in many years. One should still master some map and comp [no swearing please] skills.
I found a buck for friend this year by marking the blood till it stopped. After unsuccessfully trying to pick it back up, I used the GPS to see if the buck doubled back on us and zig zagged back along the trail. It wasn't easy, but we found him. He had backtracked, but took a 45 degree angle off the track. It was almost a perfect 3 point triangle from where he was shot, to last blood, to where he died.
Do you think a stand in the center of that triangle will produce more bucks in the future?, I'll put money on it.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Comic books don't teach woodsmanship.The best way to teach your self about blood trails is to be on enough of them.Shoot deer or go out with your friends and help them look for their deer then remeber what you learned and make mental notes of it.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
No one going to say what the next or most important thing is after the arrow leaves the bow.Gun getting them is all togather differant in some aspect.Talking to archers here.[cool]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts