New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know its pretty simple but can anyone tell me what i need to build my own block and tackle? something pretty heavy so i can hoist and hang deer in my garage..

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
It is pretty much rope and pulleys. The more pulleys you put the rope through, the greater the mechanical advantage.

-dan

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 03 Oct 2005 12:00 PM

Currently Offline Posts: 194
It is pretty much rope and pulleys. The more pulleys you put the rope through, the greater the mechanical advantage.

-dan
Not quite...The rope you pull needs to go around a top pulley then a bottom pulley. The other end of that rope needs to be attached to the upper pulley, but not rotate around it. The lower pulley is attached to the load...That is, the pulley not the rope is attached to the load. The arrangement will reduce the load by 50%. Additional cascaded pulleys will give you an aditional reduction.

Instead of trying to build one you can purchase one for probably less money and les effort. Lots of outdoor stores have them with the gambrel hooks on the end. Also Cabela's, Redhead, and Sportsman's Guide all sell these devices.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have one from the sporting good store but its real cheap...i kinda wanted a better one

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have a $7 pully I bought at a yard sale and the old boat winch from my previous trailer.I used tio use a pully and rope but it was a pain trying to hold it and tie it at the same time. Now I just use the winch with the clicker on works great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts