New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the rain forecast for Sat's youth day I am thinking of hunting out of a blind with my son. I have never hunted turkey out of a blind so I was hoping that those that have might be able to answer a couple of questions:

1) Do you hunt with the blinds mesh up, down or half/half? If up how do you shoot out of it with a shotgun?

2) Do you have to brush it in like deer?

3) Do you put orange ribbon on top for safety?

4) What kind of movement can you get away with in a blind for turkey?

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
You dont need to brush it in. The orange flag for turkeys will be an alarm for them. Leave the back windows closed. Where black clothes and dont worry about movement in a blind. Good Luck get the youngin a bird and thank you for getting him invloved in the sport....

·
Registered
14,630 Posts
1)I shoot mechanicals so I open the mesh on the Matrix 360 and use the open windows on the BS5. I do the same when useing a shotgun.

2) No need to brush it in..Turkeys don't mind it at all...they are not 'black hole' shy either.

3) I don't use orange so I don't know if it has an effect on Turkeys..But it's not a bad idea especailly on public ground.

4) If the front of the Matrix 360 is opened up to much, the Gobblers have seen me draw the bow.
Wearing black helps alot.

Hope this helps ya.

Blinds are great to use on rainy days. [up]

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
During deer hunting with shotgun I add pieces of a cheap safety vest on all sides. I do not bother with that during tukey huntng, but if I see someone coming my way I let 'em know. If you use decoys more caution is needed with other hunters. Don't line up you in the blind with the decoy and a nature angle for someone to shoot you're way.

We (wife and I) have collected 5 turkeys for 3 seasons. So they work. Be sure that mesh is at least out of the way to swing gun horizontally. I have not shot at a deer or turkey from the blind with the bow but pratcice with a fixed blade through the mesh was dead on. One detail I try to be careful of is having the sun at your back and the blind somewhat tucked into brush. It helps to have a shooting stick too if using a shotgun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.