New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Welcome to the boards HunterFromNJ[up] There are a few hunters here that hunt Black River. It is a realy nice WMA! Do you deer hunt also? If so you might want to get in on the deer hunting contest we have going.
Again welcome to the site![up] ... Jim

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I have never gone Goose Hunting in my 22 years of hunting. If someone would like to take me out one day I would be glad to trade a deer hunt in sussex county for a goose hunt.:)

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I was planned on goose hunting this morning near Walpack Center. Then I filled the tank on my truck last night and it cost $48. I ended up staying home.

Black River is a lot closer to where I live and I am real familiar with it. What part of Black River did you do so well? I am guessing somewhwer od Pleasent Hill Road?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Did you have a small boat or a canoe? If not, where can you go? I just went to Columbia WMA right off I-80 for my first waterfowl hunt ever, and I didn't see a thing. So I need a tip! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Black river can be good but the amount of pressure on the geese & duck push them out before shooting time. Come duck season the sky busters & p [no swearing please] shooters ruin it fast for everyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We were with my Son there on Friday, Sep 2. There were few geese on private property near the parking lot on Route 513, between Ironia (Randolph) and Chester.
HunterFromNJ: Where do you shot these geese? [confused]

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
That's the old bell labs. They are ALWAYS there. They also like to feed on the soccer fields by the school. All those geese will be over in long valley once the corn is cut. There isn't enough corn planted on the east side of 206. After that only a few geese stay in the swamp until things freeze up.
side note: We did well on spruce run this AM. LOTS of geese there. We were out by 8:00

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Bob.
Just I wonder what's the best place for parking and entering the Black River for Goose hunting or anything else, Ducks, Turkey,...(if any)

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Black river has all 3. I don't hunt turkey there so I can't help.
geese & ducks I can help with. For me it's not worth putting up with ALL the jerks who show up there early & late in the seasons for p [no swearing please] shooting ( Which isn't hunting). You'll be working a flock & all the sudden someone takes a pot shot from behind a tree & screws up the hunt. I'll hunt there mid duck season a little. By then the ducks are so spooked they are mostly done flying by 30 mins passed shooting time. Don't get me wrong you'll get some ducks but it's hit or miss. you can get to the swamp from 3 or so places. The bridges at either end. Pleasant hill rd. 206 or a parking lot on the washington township end. You can get a car top boat in at pleasant hill but can't get far in because of the tangles. The other places you'll have to carry it over land. So it's pretty crowded at the ends because nobody wants to go deep. If someone does the chased all the ducks out before light. It's a catch 22.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Hey BobR, where can you launch early on Spruce Run?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
At the main boat ramp. If you are planning on hunting there are still alot of fishermen & sailboats there.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I forgot to mention spruce run has rules for hunting on the water. You can pick them up at the park office or the water comission. All hunting is on the water except the WMA area. But there are areas (dam, spillway, below the office, by rt 13, campers point, boat ramp etc) of no hunting or 450 ft from the shoreline. All the no hunting areas are marked on the map.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Thanks BobR, was thinking of going there this morning, but had work to do. Anyway, I realized like you said that there are alot of fishermen there, so I think i'll save Spruce Run for the winter.

Since this is the first waterfowl season for me, I'm just trying to find a spot with a couple of geese where i'll have a solo spot. Dont want to mess up anyone else's hunt while I teach myself the ropes.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Thanks JerseyJim, see you in the field.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Murray drop me a email. I'll take you on spruce run. I have everything so you don't have to haul anything, just your gun. I hunted fields off of 78 this AM. Didn't even see a goose flying. On the way I seen them in the park pond & by 31. Guess it was to nice of a morning for them to get up LOL There was only 2 boats on the water.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts