New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is old news but I haven't heard this so here it is..

• "Adds an additional six-day October hunting season beginning in 2016, three days for bow hunting only and three days for bow hunting and hunting with muzzle-loading guns. Bow hunting will enable hunting of nuisance bears that can be difficult to hunt by gun in certain areas.

NJDEP - News Release 15/P108 - Comprehensive Black Bear Management Policy Adopted

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Better get in line now... there may be a few out of state guys coming in.
Why do you say that? Been a real bow season all around us for years now, may be a few but I doubt we will be inendated.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
The big up in the air question for this hunt is how the permits will be handled. The present website indicates that there will be a permit application period that ends in Mid October....However, the archery/muzzy season is October 10 through the 16th. So the "permit application period" will still be open when the season is underway....so clearly the "permit application period" listed on-line is for the 6-day gun season in December....That means that there is no current information for the archery/muzzy season permits...and we didn't get a "bear tag" with our bow license for 2016, so we'll need to get a tag as an extra expense.....I guess its a waiting game on lottery info. I wouldn't worry to much about out of state guys since you've got to buy the non-res license just to apply for a permit, and I doubt many will take the expense without the guarantee that they'll get a permit....I would anticipate that bear permits will go quickly...so I wouldn't skip the lottery in hopes of buying OTC....

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Funny how we never sell out of permits for bear other than zone 1 for a couple of years in the beginning and now some are worried they will all sell out. I think the cost is going up to $28 like many other permits, but don't hold me to that. I plan to bow hunt them this fall. We're friggen overrun! My average bow sit in (deer) zone 6 for archery deer is to see 5 bears and hopefully 1 deer in a half day sit.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Same laws apply?? Anybody hear anything about baiting?? If we can bait?
Reading these, seems like the proposals don't address anything new about baiting, so I would assume same baiting laws are in place.

NJ DEP Notice

NJDEP - News Release 15/P108 - Comprehensive Black Bear Management Policy Adopted

Then there is this - the actual proposal document that was approved last year:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/proposals/20150518a.pdf

See page 32-33 where it says,

"Hunting manner shall be by stand hunting, still-hunting, or drive hunting with bow, shotgun, or muzzleloader rifle. Black bears may not be taken from dens. No person shall attempt to take or kill a black bear or have in their possession or control any firearm, or other weapon of any kind, while elevated in a standing tree or in a structure of any kind within 300 feet of a baited area (N.J.S.A. 23:4-24.2)"
It also mentions the lottery is going away. All permits being sold OTC now? See page 9 where it says "The lottery for bear hunting permits is proposed to be eliminated ..." and gives its reasoning.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
It'll be fine. Bordering states have concurrent seasons so, I wouldn't worry too much about non resident hunters.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
It'll be fine. Bordering states have concurrent seasons so, I wouldn't worry too much about non resident hunters.
Yet their success rates arnt nearly as high and you don't see the 400 500 up to 700 lb bears taken in the other states like you see in jersey

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
And if you do decide to go Bear hunting. Start saving now the cost of a mount, rug, butchering etc. is quite expensive. The guy who shot the N.J state record bear had the bear sitting in his garage for quite some time before the state stepped in and offered to have the mount done and displayed at pequest. Do to the cost factor. I believe a NJ taxidermist stepped up and helped the state out with this.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts