New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok we went to the property in burlington county yesterday for a nice quad ride....but instead we were attacked by biting flies.....HOLY SHIT.....there were about 1,000,000 of them and they hurt like hell...we tried to outrun them but no good....we shot back to the car and had to hide in there...what were they ? anyone have problems like that?

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
They are a type of horse fly. They are out in sworms at this time of year. They like fields that are dry with vegitation and dry dirt. they are fast and love your head. I have them on my property the bite hard and make me very mad. You can not out run them they are fast as hell. Best bet is wait for it to rain then they go away not all but most. [mad][mad]

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
They seem to be worse this year than ever. The next time you visit our lovely county, feel free to take home as many as you want. And if you think they are bad, the chiggers are waiting just off stage for what ever blood you have left :D

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
really? so early bow season will be like this?....these flies are rediculous. very fast and they hurt...does any repelent work?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wear a full headnet, like the flyfishermen in alaska, but the little beggers (pine flys) will always find an uncovered portion of skin. I use a deet based repellent with no fragrance and after one or two encounters the deer seem to accept it as normal.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
We have them here in Sussex county. I have tons of them on my property in Lafeyette. They suck..!!!!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have experienced the green horse flies when i go crabbing but these flies were different.... ALOT worse...they were smaller but they swarmed....it sucked

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
TRY THIS STUFF OUT - I USE IT IN TUCKERTON WHILKE CLAMMING TO KEEP OFF THE GREEN HEAD FLIES AND NO SEE UMS:

GreenHead Fly and Insect Repellent™
Insect Repellent for mosquitos, flies, gnats, bees, deer flies, no-see-ums, chiggers, ticks and fleas - OUR SAFEST & MOST EFFECTIVE INSECT REPELLENT!
SPRAY IT ON YOUR SKIN, CLOTHING, OR UNIFORM!
LASTS UP TO 8 HOURS!

http://www.greenheadfly.com/main.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts