New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those that bitch about public land hunting, I think don't make the effort. There is so much land that is not hunted it is like a wide open private land...IF you make the effort. I got into hunting because I love the woods, grew up in the woods, and the farther in the better. I think a lot of hunters complaining about public land are just lazy. Sorry but that is the only explaination I can find.

My first muzzy kill today was sitting...I will now reveal, on state land. I think the deal is to be willing to make the hard hike in, up the mountains, or deep in-country, where most hunters won't make that effort. And you have done that hike more than once well before, scouting so you know your spot and know you can get there without bright eyes.

Those who don't do this, can deal with the typical public land hunting complaints. But I don't sympathize with them because those that make the effort to go in-country where they can just wait for the guns to go off and the deer to come in. I ran into 1 guy on the mountain today, 78 years old, been hunting the area for 18 years he said. Nobody else out there. I hope he did well today, he was still out there when I left. Bless his soul!

There is a ton of public land not hunted because of the work to scout it and hike in to it, and then drag out the game. All I can say is a mountain is a tough hike in, but easy to drag out w/a kill. And the solitude can't be beat.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!....I hunt the spots no one parks at or even walks through...my motto the deeper the better. Its a long drag out but totatlly worth it. To me THAT IS hunting...my opinion.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I'm off base. But one of the biggest aspects of hunting I love is solitude. Getting away from all the crap. If I have to hike in to scout, I love every minute year round. If I find that place, I will make trips back in...and bait...(not a new thread)...hang my stand, know my way there, take my dog with me, until we get close to the season!, I enjoy it. I never had a hassle with someone who made that effort. I have met them, they are the same as me and we talk and discuss the area, and generally have a good jaw session. The signs are there of those who have come before. Old rotted wood tree stands and broken down ground blinds made of branches in the wedge of a tree. Yeah, it is virgin land to me, but there are relics of past hunters from many years ago. I love finding them. Did Grampa teach his grandson hunting lessons at this stand back in the 50's? Did he get his first buck here? Did he grow up and bring his son back here?

Those who make the trek in-country are by far not the first you will see. There are gems in those backwoods with stories behind each rotted stand. But today...we are the few. That's just fine with me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts