New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you guys get birds for training your dogs? What kind? How many? Where do you keep them? So many questions. I have a 1 year old gsp and I'm dying to get hunting with him. He's been trained some, and he's pretty good, just gotta get him back and familiar. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
842 Posts
You can buy birds at many places ..Bent Creek near Assunpink about $20 each… I used dead ones from the season to train pups in the back yard and in the back of a park near me to start them out …other than taking him hunting I never trained him on live birds that i bought and he's awesome just make it fun for them when you train ! In the WM digest there are many hunting preserves for birds ..they sell them..

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Where do you live? Might help in telling you where to go

·
Registered
713 Posts
20.00 each! There 3.00 around here.
do you have to get any permits to release pen rased birds in to the wild ? Might want to check.
hvae you ever used call back boxes ( they don't work very well with dead birds,at least I haven't had much luck with them)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
^^^^he's talking $20 for pheasant. Quail run $3-$5 in Central NJ depending on where you buy them.

·
Registered
452 Posts
when I trained my gsp's with live birds I used quail or chuckers. I called the nj fish and game about this. the rule was when the bird hits the ground it belongs to the state. this means hunting season rules apply. the birds could not be hobbled but a length of surveyors tape tied to one leg was ok. I used realease traps with 2' of orange tape tied to one leg. the birds could fly short distances and I could see them and catch them by stepping on the tape for reuse. the birds were good until the dog got ahold of them in the training process. phes are expensive and too wild to control especially in late season when they get the erge. I would buy birds in Sussex and warwick ny. a google search will turn up sources, you are sitting at the computer use it. you must have a cage or small dog kennel to carry and control the birds in the field. the chuckers will jump up and down in the cage and kill themselves so a smooth surface like cardboard is good on the inside held with wire ties loosely so it move a little when the chucker hits it. the foor release trap looks good I have a regular release trap with a 20' check cord tied to the trigger. that's the way I did it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As far a s sourcing, try:

North American Gamebird Association | NAGA and search for what you want.

If you are in or near Medford, NJ, you can probably contact the English Setter Club of America and pick up some birds(quail) there.

If you are in North Jersey, there is(or used to be)n a livestock auction in Hackettstown every week that had some gamebirds and pigeons.

I use pigeons and quail for training. For a young dog, I really like pigeons in release traps.

Three reasons:

1) Pigeons fly away and healthy pigeons do not land on the ground, so there is minimal possibility that a young dog will catch a pigeon.
2) If something goes wrong with the training and the dog begins to avoid or blink pigeons, that is not a problem since nobody hunts pigeons. if the dog blinked quail or chucker or pheasants, that would be much more of a problem.
3) pigeons are cheap, typically $2-4 per bird for feral pigeons, unless you trap or net them and then they are free.

When I lived in the burbs in NJ, I would pick up ten or fifteen quail for training and keep them in a medium dog crate that I modified to house birds. Three to five birds per training session so a dozen birds would last me at least a couple of weeks. Feral pigeons I would catch with a cracked corn baited trap and keep in another modified dog crate, again for up to a couple of weeks. there were dozens of feral pigeons in my area so, catching a half dozen was never much of a problem. Once I caught one, I would put it in a catch crate, with movable bobs and I could catch a bunch in a few days.

Pigeons REQUIRE the use of either a kick cage or a release trap as they will not stay on the ground unless you put them to sleep( and that is a VERY bad idea with a young dog).

If you want to talk more about it, you can PM me.

RayG

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
You can buy birds at many places ..Bent Creek near Assunpink about $20 each… I used dead ones from the season to train pups in the back yard and in the back of a park near me to start them out …other than taking him hunting I never trained him on live birds that i bought and he's awesome just make it fun for them when you train ! In the WM digest there are many hunting preserves for birds ..they sell them..
what kind of training do you do using dead birds?????. the only thing you can teach a dog to do with a dead bird is to hunt dead

·
Registered
842 Posts
When I was training with FRESH DEAD birds i would drag them and hide them for the pup. worked for me and they would retrieve it as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Setter club is nice but every weekend they have a trial and you cant use the club.
That is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE. They do have two trials a month(September to April) and do close the club for the 6 day shotgun season. They could easily book the place every single weekend from late August to mid June, but they do not.

It is a great place to go and train your dog. It is almost entirely fenced in, so it is VERY unusual for a dog to get out. You can get more work done there in an hour, after work, than you can get done in most places in a half a day. Drive in, grab some pigeons or quail(pigeons are free...quail ain't)...set out your traps and go train.

Most of the non-field trial year they have quail in callback pens spread around the property, which the groundskeeper attends to, so there are coveys of quail on the grounds, pretty much anytime you go there. They are not wild birds, but they ain't bad.

If you live close to there and own a pointing dog that you want to train...there are few places that are better and you will be hard pressed to beat the price A fair number of the folks that train there have been training dogs to the very highest levels for twenty, thirty and some even forty years. Many, many members have dogs that they themselves trained to champion status, both AKC and AF. There are a bunch who have trained dogs to the National championship level for their breed who call ESCA their home club. There is an incredible amount of bird dog knowledge floating around the place.. pretty much free for the asking.

RayG

·
Registered
668 Posts
When I was a member a few years ago, every time I went there to train (on the weekends) most of the time their was a trial. The problem was they did not update the web site, so when you went you did not know if you could run or turn around and go home. Maybe things got better. I never understood why they had so many trials and why members could not use at least a part of the property. Maybe things got better??

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I was a member a few years ago, every time I went there to train (on the weekends) most of the time their was a trial. The problem was they did not update the web site, so when you went you did not know if you could run or turn around and go home. Maybe things got better. I never understood why they had so many trials and why members could not use at least a part of the property. Maybe things got better??
They have made some changes in the last few years. You were right about the website, but it is up to date now. The reason they run trials is very simple. They get( I think) $250 per day and $5 per dog entered for the use of the grounds and facilities. a three day trial with 100 dogs entered...do the math. if there wee no trials on the grounds, the membership fee would have to go up...way up.

The reason they can get that kind of money is firstly they can run a trial during the upland hunting season and you cannot run a trial on state land during hunting season and secondly, the only other field trial grounds with facilities is Assunpink, and the State of New Jersey has made it perfectly clear that they do not want field trialers at Assunpink..at any time. There are, as I understand it, there are clubs waiting in line to use the facility.

As I mentioned previously, t is the only venue I know of that is fenced in. THAT is huge.

You can train May though the end of August and there is not a single trial being conducted. The field trial season typically starts at the end of August and runs through April.

As has been noted, there are pigeons available for no cost and quail available for purchase, right on the grounds which are cut, groomed and maintained for working bird dogs.

Yes I am a member, even though I live in another state and do not get there very often.

RayG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts