New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any dog owners have first aid kits for their dogs? If so, what is in it? I will ask the vet the next time I am there, but that won't be for another 3 weeks.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go over to Upland Journal -- they covered this in a thread pretty recently
I commented on that thread. They seem to have a lot of stuff in there kits. I think I will stay away from the suiters. I won't be giving my dog stitches, don't feel i'm qualified.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't think I'd be stitching my dog, either. In Jersey, it's easier to find a vet.

Remember, a lot of the UJ guys hunt big, wild country, where you're much further away from help than we generally would be...

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True, they seem very interesting. Are you a member of NAVHDA?

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
When I had my dog I always made sure I new the location of an emergancy vetrinary clinic near by. I never needed it.

Once I thought he was shot though. He actually cut his ear on a thorn. The ears of a dog have a ton of blood vessels for cooling. He was bleeding pretty bad I looked all over him for pellet holes and found the cut on his ear. This was when we first arrived. It was cold so as a temperature regulation function the blood flow to his ears stopped because it was real cold out. When I got him home he started bleeding again. I used one of those old time shaving sticks to stop the bleeding. It worked, but I probably should have taken him to the vet. A dogs ears are not something for a non-profesional to deal with.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mp:

Yes, I joined NAVHDA when I got my pup this past spring. I train with the Del-Val Chapter -- we train mostly at Colliers Mills, or sometimes at Assunpink. If you're way up in North Jersey, you may want to join the Rock Tavern Chapter, which trains in New York.

Either way, NAVHDA's a big help, especially if you're training your first dog. Also, if I can help you with any questions, just ask.

Can't wait for pheasant next week, as I'll get a chance to see what my pup's gotten out of our 8 months of training...

Tony

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I won't be able to hunt her until next year. I am hoping to get a preserve hunt at the end of the season, but I doubt it. I'll probably join the Rock Tavern Chapter, just can't tell the wife it is going to cost more money. I was talking to Venisoneatr and I may take a trip to Colliers Mill to work with a guy who holds private clinics to introduce her to the gun. Next week I will be starting whoa training. I just have to build the training table first.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
My dog's first aid kit has Stop-blood powder, a staple gun, flex bandage, eye wash, side cutters for cutting snares or pulling thorns, the home # of my vet or when out of state a emergency vetrinary clinic #..

PS I don't have bird dogs

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jim, did you get the Deluxe or the Gun Dog Kit. I just picked up the Styptic Powder. Lions Supply Company delivers fast for their standard delivery. I placed an order on Monday morning and got it yesterday.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I bought the deluxe for the truck and the gun dog kit to keep in my Upland vest. You could put together the stuff you want and throw it in a portable pouch or get a bigger bag like the tool bags offered at Home depot and have the same thing. I thought there delivery was super slow,,, Go figure??

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't have a big order. Being an EMT I may just take that things I can get and order the things I can't get.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Just a warning, EMT (wound glue) is bad stuff! More infections are caused but it. You will be sealing the wound tight. The vet can't clean it after emt is used. That's why I staple the wound. It can be opened & cleaned correctly when you get home or at the vet.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EMT (wound glue) is bad stuff
I saw that stuff and I wasn't too sure of it.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I used it once when a dog had 3" rip in his chest. It worked great but when I couldn't clean at home we went to the vet. He had to put the dog under to open it back up to try & clean it out. It's easier to staple bears, hogs, coyotes & ***** can really cut up a dog. There's an old saying "It's not if your dog will be killed bear hunting IT'S WHEN" The last bear hunt I was on the bear killed 6 dogs before we got there.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi
What is NAVHDA? I just got a yellow lab pup that I want to train for birds . How do I get in touch with the Rock tavern Chapter?
thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
Crett:

NAVHDA stands for "North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association". The organization is dedicated to the training and enjoyment of the "versatile" hunting dog breeds; "versatile", though, means pointing breeds (pointers, GSP's, Brits, Viszlas, etc.).

That's not to say that the Rock Tavern folks would object to you bringing your pup out to their training days -- it's just that most of the training they do is aimed at pointers.

You can find out about NAVHDA at www.navhda.org; the website also has links to the various chapters around the country.

Don't know where in NJ you are, but there's a club based in New Egypt (near Jackson) called the Navesink River Hunting Retriever Club -- their whole focus is training and testing retrievers. I've seen them training at Assunpink -- some great dogs, and handlers who really looked like they knew what they were doing. Their website is www.navesinkriver-hrc.com -- that should get you started. Good luck with your pup!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts