New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, went out this morning with my bow and camera in tow. Got in the blind around 5:45 an heard a gobbler off to my left. Gave some yelps and he would respond. Yet he kept getting further and further away.

I sat for the next couple hours admiring nature and calling every so often hoping to hear a bird. I call again around 8:10 and I hear something walking from my left and when I peek out the window here comes a jake with a six inch beard. He walks right pass the hen decoy and stops. I have the camera rolling now and have him in frame and decide if he presents a shot I am going to take him.

Well, after a few he comes to ten yards in front of the blind and I have him on film, so I pull back and place my pin on him and let her fly! I see the lumenock go right through the bird and he flaps his wings and flys off high and far! I was left with my mouth open:eek::eek: He should be dead. After reviewing the film it seems somehow I shot high and back[wallmad][wallmad] The only thing I had to show for my hunt beside the miss was one, one tail feather. Ay least my younger daughter will enjoy me giving her the feather.

Well, I will be back out tomorrow after another one with my bow and hope to close the deal on one and get it on film. I do love hunting:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Sorry to hear about your miss today Will, be at least that was honorable with a bow and I bet you had a great time. I however missed a long beard this morning with a shotgun at 35 yards?? Go figure? I think I missed him clean if you can believe that. I to had a fun time, but I'm very dissapointed with myself. Like my dad always says though, thats why they call it hunting and not killing. I hope you get a crack at that bird or another one next time your out pal.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
sux....I have a feeling your not going to give up, are you?[hihi]

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
you'll get em next time![up]

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Will and Greg, good luck to you both on your next adventure out . . . it happens though, and it gives us the determination to get back out there . . .

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys and gals for the comments. As High Guy tells Chris it is hunting not killing[up]I will be out tomorrow and hopefully will have a chance at a long beard. This time I hope to Shoot Straight[hihi][hihi]

Chris, sorry about your miss but bow or gun the great thing I like about this site is that you and everyone here will not give up and we will be back in the woods looking to kill the almighty Thunder Chicken[up][up] Good Luck all!

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Look at it this way....You had an adreniline rush this morning. And he's still around to give you another. And I don't think anyone of us has a doubt that next time, You'll....Shoot Straight!(and a little lower)[ko]

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
You did a great job getting the opportunity Will....but you must have sighted for 72 yards. :D

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
but you must have sighted for 72 yards
Tel, you have solved the issue, you are so correct! I did shoot for 72 yards[hihi][hihi][hihi]I will make sure tomorrow if I get another chance to aim for 42 instead[hihi][hihi]

Shoot Straight!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts