New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Bill and Ken's Taxidermy for my work and they are great. I will post some pics and the address and phone number later.

They have done a bear and a fox for me. But they have done bear(4), deer(?) and elk(2) for family and friends of mine.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
How are the prices?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Prices are very reasonable. My bear rug was $880, but that was 5 years ago. They did a full mount bear for my dad that was around $1100.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Those fox heads look creepy
I thought that same thing when I saw them.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Those are my dream mounts.

B

·
0 Posts
I'm sorry but this guys work is Average if that....Bear mounts look poor, deer mounts, well some looked OK, and I don't care that the guy would do pets.....shows me he needs customers

I said it once I will say it million times over, no one that I know of can't even come close to WILDLIFE PRESERVATIONS

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I checked out WILDLIFE PRESERVATIONS at the Outdoor show in Jan. of 2004 in Raritan. He does seem to do outstanding work but he is also a little pricey. Deer mounts ran over $500.00 then. Most average $400.00 and change. He was about $100.00 more. Now of course that can open another discussion on whether one would be fine with paying more if you get more, especially with a beautiful trophy that some NJH hunters have already tagged. Just like a pair of good binoculars etc...

B

·
0 Posts
well if you sit down and talk to George like "35" and Jrhunt did, he will explaine to you why he is more expensive. I for one could care less, I want my mounts to look great and last, and what he does which I can't even remember is great. All I know is, I looked and looked for a great taxidermist, and I found one at the Raritan show back in 1997 I think, then I saw George in the Bergen Record, I went to his shop, talked to him, and I was 100% sold. Im going to IOWA next year, GOD willing we get nice bucks, the taxidermist out there could charge me $300, I will rather pay $200 more and have George do it, thats how good he is

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a damn thing wrong with any of those mounts , in fact, I think the deer and bear look great.

And this is coming from a guy who uses George at Wildlife Preservations. Just my.02

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I recently went into his shop as he is now the closest to me for deer checking in - was not impressed with his deer mounts - noses looked like they were covered in shoe polish - and the back of the shop looked like a mad scientist worked there. Nice guys, but not impressed with his work. I use a guy named Jim Kelly (Kelly creations).

He is prcing himself very high now to push people away on whitetails as he does allot more bigger game - safari type stuff.

To each his own i guess

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
I also think the work is just average. There both nice guys and the prices are good.. but there's a lot better taxidermists in NJ. they may get more money but the work is worth it. Jim kelly Is as good as anyone in THE COUNTRY. He demands top dollar and gets it. When you shoot the buck of 3 lifetimes it may be worth the lil extra. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I must not understand the point of this section. I thought it was to make a recommendation? I have used Bill and Ken, liked their work and passed that info along. I never said that anyone had to use them, your choice is up to you. I don't see any other posts in here getting the negative feedback of this one. Just an observation.

B

·
0 Posts
Chuck no offense, but if you went around and saw other taxidermist's work you would then say that these guys are averege if that. It took alot of time till I found the guy I use, and that was by accident. Yes he is more expensive then others, but when it comes down to my mounts I don;t care I want the best and thats why I pay top $$$$$

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
i would hope that the pics are bad or i have to go along with bowhuntercop they look bad in the pics

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I know. I have seen better work, but to tell the truth I can't afford it. With the money spent on out of state hunts or just on NJ licenses and permits, taxidermy is really something I can't afford to drop a lot of cash on.

The guy that did my Dad's first bear rug did and awesome job, but on my Dad's second bear he wanted 3x what Bill and Ken charged.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts