New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.bezaleelbowworks.com/index.html I just found their website anyone own one of their bows? All I can say is WOW I want one!! They Have to be the most beautiful looking traditonal bows I have ever seen. I have been thinking about getting back into tradional for years now. Its how I learned the basics when I was a kid with my old Red fiberglass recurve target bow and I think it time I get out in the field and take a deer with one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey patrick, i have three of andy's bows ( a lynx, a couger with two sets of limbs, and now his newest; a real mcCoy, is on the way ) and they shoot even better than they look if that is posible. they are truley works of art coupled with great performance. i would highly recommend that you get in touch with andy and just talk to him, he is a great guy that will set you up right. the only catch is you cant have just one, too many combinations and styles to stop after the first one.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback[up]I am not positive what bow I want yet but I think it will be the BobCat, I always wanted a LongBow!

·
Registered
19 Posts
here is something to consider, the new bow that i have ordered is called the real mcCoy and is a hybrid of the cougar and the bobcat. it has a take- down handle and your option of longbow or recuve limbs. lots of options to be creative. it adds a little more mass to feel more stable and reduce handshock but draws like a longbow. if it sounds like i'm selling his bows it is because i belive they are that good, and over the years andy has become like a hunting buddy of mine even though we have never met in person. in his bow gallery mine is cougar # 58 the bocote and cocobolo takedown. the wait on his bows is about 4 months and compared to other bowyers his prices are great. 1200 for a mass produced black widow vs 700-900 for a truly handmade bow. i have shot both and andy has got it right.
good luck with the decision.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Patrick...Join and look around www.tradgang.com

Lots of great bows and bowyers out there including amazing deals on used bows. I have been shooting trad for decades and have come to the following conclusions after owning and shooting/hunting with dozens of bows over the years, currently own one.

1). I'll never buy a new bow again.
2). Certain Martin bows are as good as any custom I have owned.
3). Plain old rock hard maple is all you need for limb wood on laminated bows.
4). It's true, beware the man who owns only one bow.
5). Remember it's a tool first, work of art second.

Good luck it's an odyssey

·
Registered
19 Posts
food for thought:
nothing wrong with mikes' ideas but if we are going minimalist then all we REALLY need is salvation through Christ. but i digress -- whats wrong with a little extra sauce on your bow? do you eat your meat with no seasoning?!! would we pick our wives the same way? just the basics please nothing more, i'm only in this to procreate. i've made my own selfbows, owned used bows, still have my first martin saber, and own and admire custom bows that i wish i could make myself. there all fun, but do we really need any of them? have some fun, try em all
i say.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Good points MikeC I would like to point out that while great deals abound out there it is always buyer bewhare also you will note that Bows by Dale Dye, widow,and Norm Johnson seem to hold their value very well but many high end things tend to do that.
As for Bezaleel Bows this is the first I have ever heard of them looking @ the pictures of them the recurves remind me of Bob Thompsons Zipper and the longbow looks as if a Centour and a Fedora Excelorator had a kid.
While I'm on the subject since you live in NJ Fedoras are just a few exits past Cabelas and you can see feel shot their bows and get an education from an in person vist with them and it is a widly known fact that many making bows today learned much of what they know from Mike Fedora sr. VERY good bows.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Glorygiver...I was just offering something to think about, my opinion, thoughts and conclusions. I also stated it's an odyssey, which I completed years back, therefore my (5) points. If Patrick gets addicted like I did he will embark on his own bow odyssey and come to his own conclusions, and it is an odyssey, not a simple journey.

I have at one time owned all the bows Jake mentioned with the exception of a Fedora and many others I can't even remember. Currently I'm shooting a simple BBO bow, no shelf, wrapped rattan grip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
mikec no harm- no foul, i was just joking around
( not the salvation part ). but i'll tell you what, imagine trying to be a small bowyer today with a great product but little mainstream advertising, i was just trying to help a friend with the good press he deserves. pat asked about andy's bows so i told him the truth about the quality and craftsmanship of bezaleel bows. i get real excited when good things happen to good people, in this case both the bow maker and hopefully the bow buyer.
p.s. that selfbow i made was destined to be a hickory work of art at 50 pounds. turned out to be a stick and string at 42!! thats why i buy other peoples bows!

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Griz,
Your so right Leon Stewart makes some ass kickin good looking longbows and he is also just across the rive in Pa. and shows up at the Apilation bowman shoots as does Allhegany bows one of the few bowyers living and working in NJ.
It might just be me but I think there is a big advantage in doing the meet n greet with a guy who is going to make something for you.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Griz...Yep leon is up there for sure, owned one of his longbows. I would put his grips (feel) at least to me up in the top 3 grips I have ever felt. On that note I would also rate the grip on a Martin Savannah in the top three also.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Martin makes some of the best "off the shelf" bows.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts