New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remington 870 express

Remington 870 express Super Magnum Combo (Comes with a 20" Rifle Deer Barrel)

Question is do I really need something that can handle a 3 1/2" or will I be fine without, majority of the time I will be going WaterFowl hunting.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Every little bit helps. I would def go 3 1/2" if your going to waterfowl. Its not gonna be fun on your shoulder being that its a pump action, gas operating would be less recoil

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Those long shells will come in very handy for waterfowl. The more shot in the air, the better. I doubt you'll need that much of a round for deer.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
I would just get an 870 3.5" express supermag.The extra range of the 3.5" is very useful in waterfowl,turkey,and buckshot for deer.
I wouldn't consider getting the combo if it's just a rifled sighted bbl.The cantilever bbl is the one you want so you can mount a scope.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The 3.5" will give you an edge if you goose hunt and shoot BB or BBB steel. These pellets are large and you can pack alot more in the longer shell. The recoil will be tough though. You should at least get a Sims recoil pad or the new Supercell from Remington.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
3.5 is over kill most of the time on ducks unless your hunting open water with long shots like divers, seaducks. 3.5 can really mess up a teal or woodie 3 is fine just my 2 cents geese go for it matter fact a 10 ga is good LOL

3.5 is a good idea for preds I am switching over to one or even a 10ga for yotes.

Go Mossberg LOL

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
3.5 is over kill most of the time on ducks unless your hunting open water with long shots like divers, seaducks. 3.5 can really mess up a teal or woodie 3 is fine just my 2 cents geese go for it matter fact a 10 ga is good LOL
true but if you want, use 3.5" for pass shooting or for geese.if hunting over dekes then shoot 3".at least the versatility is there if you need it.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
i have a rem 870. I have killed deer, turkey, pheasant, duck, squirrel, coyote etc you name it, this is a great all around gun. I also have a slug barrel for it and its awesome.

·
Registered
263 Posts
3.5 is a nice option to have. I hear it throws great buckshot patterns. AS for waterfowl, use 3" and learn to decoy. You'll be spending more on shells than you need to. A long shot is a long shot. Don't think all because you have a bigger shell, that you can take longer shots, you'll still cripple game. In a Winchester load, your only picking up 1/16 oz. (how many pellets can that be?) of shot and 75 fps. Whatever you buy, pattern it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have both the 870 Magnum and Super Magnum. The SM is nice because of the versatility. Good for buckshot, turkey loads, and waterfowl. The Magnum is a nice all around small game gun and my choice as a dedicated slug gun w. the cantiliver barrel and decent scope.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.