New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I started to hunt small game last season and it took forever to skin and prepare it about 30min per animal. I know I can do all this to a deer in 20min so I know I am doing something wrong or so I think.

I first remove the fur, cut the stomach length wise, then slowly pull the fur off like you would a deer. Normally I hang them from the hind legs while doing this.

Then after fur is off I gut it. This only takes a few min most of my time is consumed with skinning it.

Is there any faster ways? Am I doing it right? I tried the step on tail and pull thing but it didn't work instead I ripped the squirrel in half.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Are you talking rabbits and squirrels?

If so, I usually don't gut them until after I skin them.
-I usually tie them by one back foot (back in the day I had a cable tie attached to my skinning wall when I trapped).
-Cut the skin around each of the legs, just above the first joint.
-Pinch the skin next to the ass and make a cut just through the skin.
-Cut the skin up each leg to the cut on the leg.
-Then peel the skin all off to the head.
-Cut the head off.
-Cut the legs off.
-Then gut and remove sex organs.
-Rinse and clean in cold water.
Once you get use to it, it should take no more than 5 minutes. Usually 2-3 minutes per squirrel.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
I used to do rabbits in a couple of minutes. I would gut them first and run the knife the full length. If its still warm you can separate the fur from the stomach wall with your fingers and just peel the whole thing off. Use some snips to cut the leg bones and your about done depending on whether you want to freeze the whole bunny. You can do 6 rabbits in thirty minutes :D

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Ever see someone do the squeeze method of gutting a rabbit? Hold him head up and squeeze from the top with two hands until the guts squirt out of the belly. Nothing faster or more nasty looking.

Also, when i hunted rabbits and saw how many fleas some carry around, even in the winter, I always skinned 'em right where i shot them and put the meat in my vest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts