New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some extra montey and wana get a good trail camera without spending too much, something around $2oo or so. I think I posted this before but forgot which ones you guys recommended. Also, started a foodplot today and put out some mineral licks, guna get the soil ready for a fall planting of rye, clover, and turnips.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Moultrie I40's are being replaced this model year, so last years are on sale now at $170. Get it at Dick's and use the $10.00 coupon with it-you'll walk out with a good infrared no-flash cam at $160[up]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks, looks like I ll go to Dicks for that Moultrie I40 deal. Never got one before cuz I was always reluctant to leave something worth so much money to have it get stolen by someone. Any good ideas to prevent theft? When I was a kid my dad and I used the Trail Timer which just showed you the time a critter crossed the trail and stopped the clock.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Moultrie cam lock box

The best method for detering theft is is Four parts:

1) use a "no-flash" IR camera. No flash means less attraction to potential theives,

2) buy and use a lock box, and install same with the camera and a braided locking cable like "Python" or "Kryptonite,"

3) do not place the cam over bait on public land-nothing screams "there may be some valuable hunting gear in the immediate area" like a bait pile, If you want to bait, get a timed feeder, and hoist it into the above tree canopy on a cable with pulley. Lock the cable to a nearby tree well elevated(I carry 8 climbing pegs, and have the cable 10 feet in the air well hidden) This will conceal the bait area and unless some guy is walking with his head in the tree tops, it should go un-noticed.

4) after following steps 1, 2 and 3 above-always position your cam for concealment. paint the lock box cammo, cover the box with blow downs/sticks etc.. make it look natural so that you yourself would have a hard time finding the cam when you know where it is.

Notice I said "detering theft." Even if you follow all the rules, some s.o.b. may very well steal your cam--I've not had one stolen yet, but this board is full of stories with guys who've had them stolen.

Good luck, and don't be affraid to use the cam.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i use a remington ghost trail cam. for the money, i think i paid around $100 for it, it cant be beat. there has been some bad reviews on it when they first came out but i think they worked all the bugs out. has both IR and regular flash. 15 sec videos also. if anyone has any more questions or want to see pictures from it pm me.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
here is some info or go to hunting camera online.
FEATURES:

SCOUTGUARD 550

• 5/3 Mega Pixels CMOS sensor, high quality picture
• Auto LED IR-Cut-Remove
• Compact size, well designed digital scouting camera (5-1/2X3-1/4X2 inches)
• Ultra low stand-by power consumption (<0.2Ah/month), extreme durable and convenient with AA batteries (>80days)
• Quick trigger time (<1.3s)
• Lockable with mounting strap, nail/screw and cable lock
• Innovative remote control, easy to operate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.