New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well thanks to jerseybassnbow for letting me know there was an m1 for sale while I was 30 foot up an oak tree rifle hunting in CT and the owner of the gun working with me and meeting up for the sale on such short notice (gogreen- forgot the screen name) Great guy and met me at my fathers where we shot a few rounds and made the transaction. My grandpa came over for thanksgiving and after he had his appetizers I said "grandpa I have something for you" he perked right up and looked like a kid on xmas. I presented him with the M1 and he started to cry instantly, he told me how this was his best friend for years during the war and that he remembers holding it with a death grip rocking in the waves approaching Normandy beach. I said do you want to shoot it? " hell yea! lets do it!" I had the lead sled all set up for him and we headed onto my deck, placed a pumpkin at about 50 yards and got him set up. Loaded her up got him in position and he squeezed off two rounds decimating the pumpkin! I have never seen him more excited!!! This trigged numerous stories and memories, some of which I had never heard, he talked explicitly of 4 different lives he took up close and personal with the m1 and his boot knife, stories I have never heard him mention. Lots of tears but when we sat down to eat he told me how happy I made him and his dream of shooting the m1 again made him feel at peace. God willing, this spring we will put some more rounds through that gun and he sure is excited. So thank you to the members that helped me make this happen, you certainly contributed to making a 90 year old WWII vets whole year! I gave him one of the shell casings he shot and kept the other one. What an incredibly emotional and memorable Thanksgiving with a TRUE AMERICAN HERO. They don't make em like grandpa anymore. I have a few pics and a video of him shooting if someone can post that would be great. Let me know and ill email them to you. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, I have been looking for about 2 years as I posted in another thread, getting married and buying a house in2013 smacked the budget around a bit but a site member gave me a great deal and I am truly in debt to him because at 90 years old, time is of the essence. After he expressed interest in shooting the rifle again my mission began and to be honest I would have never forgiven myself if I didn't get him the gun before he passed. This battle tested/hardened warrior was an emotional mess when the gun was given to him, what an unforgettable moment. He was in the Normandy invasion, dog green sector first wave, right up the middle, battle of the bulge and also liberated Dachau. He received many accolades for bravery in combat and has been honored by the French government on our last trip to france with him (tracing his path from his landing to VE day) Needless to say, this was SPECIAL for me and my family!

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Loaded4bear should be posting pics shortly and hopefully the video of him shooting!

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys! I wear one of his dog tags every day, when I think im having a bad day I look at it and say to myself "stop being such a pu$$y!" has works well. Loaded4bear, I emailed the video! hope it works!

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any luck with the video loaded4bear??? when you guys see his reaction after he shots you will see a HAPPY MAN

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
video up in the second post on the thread, click the link. Thank you again loaded4bear for getting it loaded up!

·
Registered
10,461 Posts
I think I got the video working.

Left click the link under the photos on pg. 1 & it will save the zip file to your computer, then just open the file.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
awesome thanks again man and my offer stands for some predator hunting come January, more then welcome anytime.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts