New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been numerous posts about what outdoor stores people have had good experiences with. It seems some say a specific store is good, and another one will say it sucks.

We should hold some kind of contest and rank the outdoor stores found here in NJ. There are many im not even aware of. To start off, we should compile a list first.

Anyone interested in this?

Oh, and we should just leave Cabelas out for now.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Bad Idea, if you like a place then go use it!
some guys swear by a place other guys wouldn't be caught dead in!

I use establishments that support hunters, even if some of them charge a wee bit more, I'll use them over some place that won't give you the time of day!

If the store supports the Federation, NJOA, UBNJ, TANJ, JCAA, TU, NWTF then I'll use them.

It's a matter of preference, nobody is going to be more right in this argument!
JMO

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
Not many mom and pop outdoor shops left in New Jersey. I was up in Vernon at my folks house small game hunting, I needed some shot shells...closest place was in new york state...

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Even good shops have bad days, or the occasional bad salesman.

Go where you are well served and recommend it to your friends.

"Evolution" will take care of the rest.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
"Evolution" will take care of the rest.
[up]

Bad Idea, if you like a place then go use it!
some guys swear by a place other guys wouldn't be caught dead in!
[up]

Even good shops have bad days, or the occasional bad salesman.
and sometimes you get a-hole customers that can turn even a good shop owner/employee into a raving madman. [wallmad]

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
and sometimes you get a-hole customers that can turn even a good shop owner/employee into a raving madman.
[up]

There will be even less if and when the Cabelas opens
Rich, hate to break this to ya, but you think they would let cabelas sell ammo, guns, archery or hunting equipment in politically correct NJ! This cabelas will be a glorified clothing store, if you're lucky they may sell camo, but it's gonna be ski clothing, cowboy boots and hats and wrangler jeans! I got this from the operations manager for Cabelas~![down]

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Without a doubt... Rays!! Best one out there.[hihi]

·
Registered
928 Posts
Rich, hate to break this to ya, but you think they would let cabelas sell ammo, guns, archery or hunting equipment in politically correct NJ! This cabelas will be a glorified clothing store, if you're lucky they may sell camo, but it's gonna be ski clothing, cowboy boots and hats and wrangler jeans! I got this from the operations manager for Cabelas~!
wrong..... the nj cabelas will be selling guns and ammo. there will be a special pick up area for guns with its own entrance/exit to the building so that purchased firearms leave the premises.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I wouldnt even mind using the free ship to store pickup that cabelas has for those times when I need that 1 small item but trying to avoid that $8.95 shipping.

I know Ill go to the store to pick it up and wind up spending more.[hihi]

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Stokes State Sport Shop, Dean and those guys and friendly and helpful. Been going there since i was ten. Great store[up]

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
to avoid that $8.95 shipping.
Those shipping charges at Cabelas keep creeping up in case people haven't noticed. Anything over $300.00 is $20.00 for standard shipping. Forget about the prices to get anything shipped faster!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Those shipping charges at Cabelas keep creeping up in case people haven't noticed. Anything over $300.00 is $20.00 for standard shipping. Forget about the prices to get anything shipped faster!
A $300 order at an instate Cabelas is $21 in tax... plus gas to get there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
my hunting buddies and i buy our ammo and licences from the mom and pop shop in jackson.the old lady there is very knowledgeable and SUPER nice.she has no problem stopping in the middle of a haircut(which they also do)to sell you a licence and some shells.their prices are so so but i like to help keep the little guy afloat.as for bows,i joined the tues. league at A&M in lakewood and mike is awesome.two buddies have bought bows already and his level of knowledge really helped them both.bowhunting is pretty mental and he's helped us all overcome some stumbling points.top notch

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
A $300 order at an instate Cabelas is $21 in tax... plus gas to get there.
Not everything is taxable such as clothes. So one can spend $300.00 and not pay a dime more by shopping at the store. Have the same items shipped and your paying the $20.00 charge.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah the reason i kinda wanted to do this was because of the possibility of some shops around that some never have heard of.

Also, if someone was looking to have bow work done, or something else of the sorts, it would be kinda nice to look it up on here. I know one would say a store sucks while another will say its great, but to get a consensus would be alright.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts