New Jersey Hunters banner

Best set up for modern muzzle loaders

1K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Grits N Gravy 
The Omega is one Hell of a muzzle loader, with its 1:28 rate of twist you will find that it prefers a little heavier of a bullet, start out with bullets around 300gr, granted some guys do get good results with lighter bullets

Next thing to think about is pellets or lose powder, pellets are nice, however you can only tweak you load in 50gr increments as oppose to loose powder where you can adjust you powder amount for the best possible accuracy

If you go with pellets I would highly recommend Triple 7 over anything else, It is a very consistent reliable and accurate powder...With the 777 you will want to use a low charge muzzleloader primer

If you go with loose powder I would recommend Black Horn 209 This stuff is the cats ass, I get super accuracy, it is very reliable, not highly corrosive, and is not affected by humidity or dampness as much as other powders.... The other nice thing about BH209 is that you do not need to swab the barrel between shots, the bullet will load just as easy on the first shot as it will on the 50th shot...With 777 your only going to get about 3 or 4 shots before you'll need to clean the barrel

also with BH209 it takes a little hotter primer to ignite the powder, So you need to use #209 shotgun primers, not the #209 muzzy loader primers

you may hear bad things about BH209 not fireing or people having hang fires with it, only three things will cause this,

1 they were not using full strength #209 shotgun primers
2 pore breach plug design or dirty breach plug
3 bad or wet powder

some breach plug designs just dont allow enough fire from the primer to get to and ignite the main charge, infact some muzzleloader companies are now offering newly designed breach plugs do to the popularity of BH209, You will not have this problem with the Omega, it has the ideal breach plug design to work perfect with BH209

Here is a 100yd 5 shot group from my Omega, recipe for this is : 100 grains of 777 pellets, 300grain Hornady SST with the low drag sabot, and Federal Fusion muzzyloader primers

I have since found a better more accurate load out of my Omega, My current recipe is : 90 grains of Black Horn 209, 340grain Dead Center bullet made by Precision Rifle, and CCI #209 shotgun primer

Im getting better accuracy with this set up, gun is shooting sub MOA at 100yds, and shooting groups just over MOA at 200yds, sorry I dont have any pics of performance from this set up, but trust me it is deadly

The other great thing about BH209 is clean up, no soap and water, special cleaners, you use the same stuff that you clean regular centerfire rifles with, Hoppes #9, CLP, shooters choice etc

for glass on my Omega I have a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40...for the money I dont think you will find a better piece of glass, I have several rifles topped with leupold vari X III's and I will say that the nikon glass is not far behind the vari x III's very clear crisp picture with good light transmission....I have hunted with it in all types of weather form very cold below 0 temps, rain,fog and snow...Also I have never had a problem with it holding zero even after a couple of hard knocks to the scope....It is one hell of a scope for the $200 price range

Only downside to the Omega is breach plug removal when you have a scope mounted on it, the breach plug tool that comes with it works fine with out a scope, but once you put a scope on it the tool is to short....What I do is use a 1/4" ratchet, small extension and a 7/16" socket to remove the breach plug works like a charm and can easily be carried in you possible bag

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.