New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
You stuck on Nikon? For bow hunting/medium range rifle I use the Sig Kilo. Very accurate and easy to use. If your just looking for bowhunting and possibly shotgunning, Nikon should treat you fine. Which model?? Im not to familiar with them, so I'd suggest something with a ballistics compensation( measures angle and give you true yardage)
Always remember,, if it states 800 yrds, it's probably good to 5-600 yrds. The amount it's rated at is in real perfect conditions which we'll never see when we need it.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I have a leupold 1200, honestly its pretty much overkill. Unless you are doing long range, or want to use it for golf, I would say any cheap one will do. The high end stuff has a ton of options, or available uses that I never really use.

Reactions: DonW2012

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have a cheapo $99 simmons, so far so good. What good is ranging a deer at 250 yds when ya have a bow in your hand?
Bought an inexpensive Bushnell from a member a year or so ago and it serves it purposes !

·
Registered
7 Posts
I checked out Nikon MONARCH 3000 Stabilized while helping Nikon out at SHOT Show and I promise you it is all it is reported to be. I have been using the 7iVR rangefinder for 18 months, the industries first stabilized rangefinder by the way. The new one is leaps and bounds above the 7iVR in features and capabilities. I'm still hoping to get my hands on one soon, they have truly been going out as fast as they have been coming in. As some of you who have asked me question's in the past already know, I do no sales. I'm just trying to let you know about product's that might be helpful to your hunting situations. Drop me a note any time and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have a cheapo $99 simmons, so far so good. What good is ranging a deer at 250 yds when ya have a bow in your hand?
Unless you are hunting out West with a rifle and plan on making 400+ yrad shots, there is no need for a high priced rangefinder. If you notice, the longer the rangefinder works, the more expensive it is. A 450 yd one is plenty for use in NJ.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got the Vortex Ranger 1000 Rangefinders. I haven't had a chance to use it yet though. I like their warranty; if anything happens they will fix or replace it for free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've heard of that rangefinder, I think my brother has one that he likes. A year back we were hunting together in the cabin and I tried this device? it's pretty handy for distance measure. Personally, I have no need for such gear. I prefer hunting scopes, I can certainly see why the average hunter feels that a 3-9x40mm scope is just what the doctor ordered. At three power he has all the field of view he needs for most short range shooting and at nine power all the magnification needed to sight in his rifle properly.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've heard of that rangefinder, I think my brother has one that he likes. A year back we were hunting together in the cabin and I tried this device? it's pretty handy for distance measure. Personally, I have no need for such gear. I prefer hunting scopes, I can certainly see why the average hunter feels that a 3-9x40mm scope is just what the doctor ordered. At three power he has all the field of view he needs for most short range shooting and at nine power all the magnification needed to sight in his rifle properly.
Like the old country song says " You say it best when you say nothing at all" Be careful when you are hunting in the cabin. You might want to try outside the cabin. It's a lot safer................

1 - 13 of 13 Posts