New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who do you guys recommend in the northern part of the state. I have quite a bit of Ground Elk meat that was ground (not mixed with any fat) and frozen. I want to find somebody that can make up sausage with it. I would prefer to supply enough to ensure only my Elk is used.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've been happy with the venison sausage & kielbasa that the Hunterdon Deer Butcher makes. I'm sure there are other good butchers in NNJ, but my experience with HDB has been great.

Reactions: ROSSBOWHUNTER

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Alpine in Blairstown is great also. Whoever you choose, let them know the meat is already ground, as different types of sausage require a different grind. Being that it is already ground may cause different results in the sausage.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
As the above said, Alpine is the best. But, if it's too far, Roche's in White House, NJ makes great sausage as well.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
What do you mean by "northern" nj.
I'm as far northwest as you can get, I'm 10 minutes from both PA and NYS borders and I know a very good processor about 15 minutes from me. If interested p.m me.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
if in union county area try Lutz on Stuyvesant in union they make very good Italian Sausage and other german style sausages/sticks

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
If you go, bring some money, you'll want to buy the store. Try the holiday kielbasa, kielbasa loaf, liberkasa if they have any left. Natural casing hotdogs are excellent too. I also like their smoked pork chops, thick cut, and their smoked pork butt is great. Oh, and don't forget the weisswurst, Bavarian brats, regensburger, andouille, etc......

if you do buy store made products, make,sure to freeze them promptly, as they do not use preservatives. They will turn if you leave them put too long.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Definately call Alpine before you head over. I know they stop accepting game orders for a certain time during the holidays. Also another great place to try is Nellos Meats in Nazareth, PA. It's where a lot of these butchers claiming to provide speciality items have them made up and then resell it as their own. Both places have quality stuff.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Alpine is not excepting any orders for deer processing until after the 5th of January. i usually wait until february to get all mine done. i know i will get all my deer processed.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I have used Lutz in Union. Sometimes they process right away while other times it takes a month with several phone calls. Hit or miss.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Many yrs ago I used alpine until I noticed I wasn't getting "my" deer meat!! Started using Janek and have been happy with them ever since.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts