New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this email following some phone pictures earlier today. I had to share it and know many will enjoy [rofl]. Andrew and I have grown up together and have remained best of friends. Even if he lives 6.5 hours away now in NC. Here is his story -

Finally, after 2 seasons of frustrations, dog hunters, misses, and other failed attempts to harvest a turkey, I score on a nice jake! This hunt did a great job of exemplifying the patience needed to kill a turkey. A hunt that tested the will to wait and keep your head on straight. Before I begin to tell my story let me preface it by describing the layout of the land where I took my bird. The property is simply a cattle pasture that's elongated in shape and runs from the road down to the edge of a creek bottom woodland. The pasture is split into 2 sections for the purpose of rotational grazing. Now with that said I begin.....

Easter Sunday
I wake up at first light and decide to go across the street to listen for turkeys on a property that I acquired permission to hunt this past fall. It looked to be a promising turkey hunting location on google earth and wild turkeys were stocked there during the 90s, so obviously I decided to go have a listen. I walk down the road and up to the pasture fence. As I stop to listen for turkeys I notice that I have grabbed the attention of the 30+ cattle that occupy the pasture. All in one group they proceed to stampede towards my direction. Within a couple of seconds I'm greeted with wide-eyed, drooling, grunting, snorting, mooing, pissing, shitting, gasy, paranoid, curious, licking, big, humping, black, dingle-berry laiden, fuzzy headed, grass mongering, angus cows. Although it was hard to focus, my attention was soon diverted to the familiar vernal cadences of wild turkeys gobbling in the creek bottom. I instantly became excited and planned for a hunt Friday morning. Before I left I came to realize that these crazy cows could become a problem. But I was happy and reassured to know that they were sectioned to the front half of the pasture...however things changed...

Thursday afternoon
I come home and as I'm pulling in the driveway I take notice to the cattle. They have all been moved to the back pasture where I plan to hunt. So I decide to go for a walk. I hop the fence and start out across the field. As I walk across the pasture I soon get the feeling that I'm being followed...sure enough the there they are in tow...drooling, mooing, pissing...again. I took a minute to survey a spot, then headed back out.

Friday Morning..the hunt
In the darkness of the morning I head across the street and into the pasture. I manage to sneak past the cattle and get to my spot. I set out turkey decoys with hope that they will only attract turkeys. Twilight comes...the songbirds come alive and world begins a new day. The turkeys begin to gobble. I wait....give a few soft tree yelps and clucks...the gobblers go nuts....I wait 20min....and as a moment of silence comes over the woods and I cut and do a "fly down".....the gobblers go nuts...I wait. As the time passed I sat and listened to four different gobblers go ballistic. Then during another break of silence I start to sing out yelps...but before I can get too many calls out..the earth begins to rumble, the plants begin to quake....and as I glance to the left I see the moo pissers in full stride charging at my turkey decoys. Before too long my decoys are fully encircled by cows...to the point where I can't even see them. Then it begins...the moo pissers start to lick, chew, drool, & snort on my decoys. Some of the cows think it's fun to lick, run away, and then come lick again. Before my head almost explodes, I charge out of the greenery chasing off the cows like a mad man. I soon get back to the hunt. Luckily the cows lost interest and decided that I wasn't to be messed with. After a little while, I get a bird to gobble 200yds behind me. I wait and listen..again he gobbles. I call out to him with yelps....he cuts me off...I then lay silence on him. After a few minutes he cuts the distance in half heading towards me. Before I know it he's 50yds behind me. I hear him coming and offer some scratching in the leaves and soft purrs. Movement on the edge...there the gobbler is slipping underneath the fence. He struts towards my freshly glazed decoys. Just as he gets past the decoys....BOOOM! I roll him out..bird down! What a hunt.
There's nothing like the highs and lows of turkey hunting....and one thing is certain you just got to be patient.

Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts