New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Ill let you in on one hard earned lesson. NEVER remove the memory card with the unit on. it ruins the memory card for that unit forever, even if you reformat in the unit. always turn the power off to change/check/remove cards. Lessons learned by making the mistake yourself are well remembered.
I guess Im happy with my Moultrees. the A5 at around $70 is a good bang for the buck Deer Wildlife Tree Organism Forest
Forest Woodland Natural environment Nature Nature reserve
from last weeks card I was just looking at

edit: The card doesnt really fail, you can retrieve the photos it took, it just never seems to take anymore on that card it always seems to cause a glitch on the cam and never works right again

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

Primos Truth Cam 35 is good enough for me. They can be bought at Cabelas for between $100-$80.

I recommend buying from a retail store with a return policy. Trail cams endure some harsh conditions and sometimes this Chinese-made crap doesn't work right from the start. It's a lot easier to return it to a big -box retailer than trying to return it through mail order or a small store that tells you to take up warranty issues with the manufacturer yourself.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Ill let you in on one hard earned lesson. NEVER remove the memory card with the unit on. it ruins the memory card for that unit forever, even if you reformat in the unit. always turn the power off to change/check/remove cards. Lessons learned by making the mistake yourself are well remembered.
I guess Im happy with my Moultrees. the A5 at around $70 is a good bang for the buck View attachment 24615 View attachment 24616 from last weeks card I was just looking at
I have never had a SD card fail on me by taking it out with the unit on before.

As far as the OP goes, I have a Moultrie A5, a Primos 35 and a Wildgame Innovations, all perform well and have had no issues with their performance.

The Primos 35 takes four D cell batteries but that thing is a beast with battery life. I have never seen a camera last as long as that thing does considering the number of pictures it pulls on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I personally have two covert code black 2 g cameras that work perfect. I also have 4 2013 moultrie 990i trail cameras. Now the reason I made a point to mention the year is bc moultrie changed their 990 line in 2014 and those cams have had a bunch of issues. you can still find the 2013 models just have to do some digging. Mine have worked for two years with no issues at all. Before these I also had 4 moultrie m-80 blacks that were flawless. But they no Longer make those. We have 4 primos, 2 bushnell, and 4 buckeye came up at our NY camp. The primos and bushnells are way to sensitive for me seems like there is always an issue. The buck eye cams are awesome but now you are talking big bucks for that set up. All that being said I would recommend a 2013 moultrie 990i no glow cam. Also make sure to buy a class 10 Sd card you will have less headaches and then for batteries go with energizer lithiums. I have two cams out right now with well over 6000 pics on a set of bats. Best of luck

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
I have had Bushnell's and Moultries for years. I purchase them from Walmart for about $99.00 each. I usually put them out in August and pull them in March. They seem to both perform well but, when it's really cold, I have noticed that the Bushnell's will really suck down the battery power. The Moultries not so much. I had to replace the batteries sometimes weekly but, maybe it's the batteries. Who knows? I have been using some Bushnell's and some Moultrie's now for about five years.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Another vote for the browning strike force...It has a huge amount of features for the money and has a detection circuit that beats Cuddieback..trigger speeds are less than 1/2 a second, the peripheral detection cone is huge, and it triggers on game movement out to 80' nearly double the range of most popular cams...and that's been tested and verified by independent testers and I can confirm even on a 40 degree day I had it trigger at game at 80+ feet from the cam...I supports still/video/trail cam, and plot watch modes and combinations thereof

Reactions: NJHunterMD
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.