New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first year hunting coyote at night, could use some advice on shot size and should weather I should use lead, steel , or copper. Thanks

·
Registered
790 Posts
gotta find what shoots the best out of your gun. every gun is different. hevi shot dead coyote in "T" is the way to go if you can afford $35 for 10 shells. it seems to pattern well with most guns. federal makes a coyote load in BB that i heard good things about. remington has a predator load too.

i use federal 3in lead BB 1 7/8oz not sure if they still make it tho. i bought a few boxes a couple years ago. its good out to 55yds. for me and my gun. many bang flops on canines.

just be sure to pattern your gun so you know what you can do with your gun shell combo. good luck

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
[up] Buckshot only legal when used during deer hunting. There is a choke tube called the "Dog Pounder" especially made for predator hunting.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Try a bunch of different choke ammo combinations til you find one that works for your setup. High Density T and BB shot work great for yotes and are both legal here in nj.

carlson's dead coyote choke did not throw a good pattern for any of the ammo I tried out of my 870. I think the constriction is a little tight for the T and BB shot used for yotes. It is now my dead turkey choke. The hevi shot dead coyote load didn't pattern well either...with any of my chokes. Not saying that these won't work for you but just passing on my experience.

Rem wingmaster HD in BB patterned the best out of my 870 with believe it or not a plain old rem mod choke. Unfortunately, most of the ammo companies are discontinuing their high-density loads due to the prices of tungsten. Found out too late and couldn't stock up on any. a few boxes would probably last me a lifetime for coyote hunting here in NJ as shots are few and very far between.

For areas where we are just concentrating on foxes we use smaller and cheaper lead turkey/smallgame loads. It doesn't take a lot to drop a fox in its tracks. Also the smaller shot will leave the pelts with smaller holes. Killed a fox at 7 yds the other day w/ the HD BB and it wasn't pretty[eek]

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
My Win 1400 is only 2 3/4", and T shot isn't available. So, I have been using Remington 2 3/4" Nitro Steel 2 shot with an extra full choke. I have yet to get a yote in close enough to try, but I have patterned it and hope it will do the job.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Also the smaller shot will leave the pelts with smaller holes. Killed a fox at 7 yds the other day w/ the HD BB and it wasn't pretty
True...

That was the most gruesome skinning job I've ever done. Compounding the smell of the fox (which was terrible) was the smell of the punctured stomach and what ever else was leaking vile nasty goo and aroma...and the fact that all of it's organs were falling out the softball sized hole. LOL

For all future foxes and yotes, please try to shoot them from further away or with smaller shot.
:p[ko]

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
How wide is the spread of your choke at 7 yards? Hell, I patterned mine at 25 yards with an extra full and the spread was 4 inches. At 7 yards, it would've looked like a slug hole.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
buckshot legal during daylight hours when deer hunting. The title of the thread is best ammo to Night hunt coyotes
Night= illegal to carry buckshot.:D

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
How wide is the spread of your choke at 7 yards? 
Pretty tight. Lucky I didn't miss. lol but that's the game you play when you hunt the thick stuff.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Someone mentioned that tungsten is no longer around...here is a deal.

Rogers sporting goods is blowing out Federal Heavyweight by the case. $169 for ten boxes of ten shells per box. (Normally $400) Heavyweight shot is 15 g/cc which is about 25% more dense than lead and about 35% denser than Hevishot. Rogers has #2 and #4. I estimate #2 heavyweight to have close the same energy as BB lead and more than Hevi-shot BB, but did not run numbers. Federal discontinued this due to high cost of tungsten.

Federal still makes the Coyote load in BB of the same shot, BUT it runs $24 for 5 shells.

Sharing this info in case someone wants a crazy deal (assuming it patterns well for them too)

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts